Chapter 14: He'll Come Out

TW: internalized homophobia

Three days later...

(Michael's PoV)

I hadn't seen Jeremy all day and it was worrying me.

Where is he?

Did Christine tell him it was my birthday?

I shook off the thoughts and headed towards the cafeteria. Unsurprisingly, Jeremy wasn't at our lunch table. Instead, Jared sat in Jeremy's usual spot. He gestured over to me and I sat next to him.

"Happy birthday, dumbass," he said wholeheartedly. He grabbed a small box and handed it to me. "For you," he said awkwardly, a tad insecure.

An involuntary smile found its way onto my face and I sighed. "Thank you, Jared."

"Open it, retard," he said, gesturing towards the package.

I laughed and opened the box.

In the box was a brand new, silver pair of headphones. On the sides, an obnoxiously red R and L showed which pad went on which ear.

Oh my god.

I felt a grin split my face as tears gathered in my eyes. "Jared, oh my god..."

"Do you like them?" he said quietly.

To answer him, I yanked him into a bone-crushing hug. "I love them," I whispered. Tears began to fall down my face.

No one's given me anything like this since eighth grade, when Christine ruined my life— with one confession.

"This is awesome!" I said, taking off my old headset and putting it into my backpack. I plugged my new headphones in. They were soft.

Jared's gaze followed my hands, but locked into my backpack and the word scrawled out onto the red fabric.

I felt my face heat up. Jared noticed.

"So," he started, "it sucks to be in love, doesn't it?"

"What?" I spluttered, coughing.

Love?

"I've seen the way you practically eye-rape Jeremy every day," Jared says casually, smirking and crossing his arms. "And that pining look in your eyes."

"But—" I tried.

"I know what it is, Michael. I see it every day... in the mirror." His voice changed from one of teasing from one of wistfulness.

"Who are you in love with?" I said quietly. 

He looked reluctant to answer, and I immediately felt bad for him. But he shook his head and said, "Evan... and Connor." He blushed. "I know it's fucked up, since they're dating and I like both of th—"

"No." I cut him off. "It's great. There's nothing wrong with that," I reassured him. "It's okay."

He looked at me hopefully, but disbelievingly. "No— I'm fucked up, you don't have to lie." He shook his head. "I should go."

I grabbed his arm. "Just— ask them out or something. What could go wrong?"

He shook his head, smiling bitterly. "You don't wanna know." He stood up. "Happy birthday." Turning around, he left, leaving me alone.

I sighed, slouching against the seat. 

Now what?

"Michael!"

(Jeremy's PoV)

I walked over to the shorter boy, waving at him. "Michael!"