Chapter 4

Aurora

Fucking Leah. I've told her a million times that what was going on between me and Steele was nothing more than purely sexual, yet Steele's dominating persuasion over this town has made anything I say or do obsolete. She doesn't get it, no one does. I don't love him, I can't. When Jason died, a part of my heart died with him. I don't think I'm capable of loving another man again. If I was, I would love Steele. He's a good man, he's worth loving, he just can't fill the gaping hole that sits in my chest. I don't think anyone will ever be able to do that.

I had briefly thought I could find some solace in talking to Leah about my issues with Steele, wrong. As soon as we got into the conversation, she started defending him, so I put it behind me. I have bigger worries ahead of me and he stands only feet away behind the bar. "Where's my rum and coke for table two?" I ask, not seeing my order waiting, pretending that Kane working at the same bar as me doesn't throw me off guard, considering I just met him this morning by driving into him, and he's completely new to this town.

"I had it ready minutes ago. I had another server run it for you since you hadn't come by and got it. I'm sorry. I thought I was helping you out." Kane replies apologetically with his back turned, pouring some form of liquor into a glass, apparently doing his job more than adequately.

"Um yeah...thank you and by the way, what are you doing working here?" I know it's blunt but he's suddenly shown up in my life and is there around every corner, it's awkward and mysterious.

"If I'm going to be living in Clyde Banks then I'm going to need a job, right?" He looks up so I can see his face, his eyes meeting mine, a small grin forming at the corner of his lips while he holds the shot glass in his hand. His piercing cerulean eyes stab into my own, taking hold of me, controlling me, mesmerizing me. For a second, I'm lost, taken by this handsome stranger and his captivating allure. There's something about Kane I can't ignore, something that pulls me in, that draws me to him, that makes me want him in a way that I've never wanted any man before, since Jason and then I come back down to reality. I know it's just because he's handsome. I'm sexually attracted to him, he's gorgeous, he probably has this same magnetic pull with every woman who crosses his path.

"I guess. I don't understand why you would want to come live in this town though. Nobody wants to live in Clyde Banks unless they come from Clyde Banks."

"I don't plan on staying forever. I'm just passing through for a few months. I don't really like to stay in one place too long. It's just not my thing. I guess you could say I'm like one of those people who likes to travel and see the world, constantly moving from place to place every few months. Besides, this place doesn't seem that bad." He finishes making more drinks, setting them up top the bar counter. His lean arm muscles flexing with the slightest motion. I'm in awe at the sight of him. I can't argue with Leah, he really is a fine specimen of masculinity that does scream, fuck me on the pool table, but I have Steele. I just need to clarify once more that if Steele wants to continue what we have, then he needs to stop letting his emotions get involved. That I won't continue seeing him if he doesn't stop with the jealous behavior and remember I'm just a fuck. I don't want to end things with him, not yet. He hasn't pushed me too far but he's getting there. I enjoy his company when he's not acting like an ass and just like any sexually active person I know. I enjoy being sexually gratified and he definitely knows how to please a woman physically.

"Clyde Banks isn't that bad. That's if you were born here, that is. Most people around here aren't very welcoming to strangers, so it's a good thing you don't plan to stay." I reach into my apron taking out my guest pad and pen. I write down my address. I had already given him my phone number earlier when I hit his car, "Here's my address. When Steele showed up I didn't have time to write it down. Call me later when your shift ends. You can come by to see the place." I tear off the paper sliding it across the slick countertop towards him.

He takes the small slit of paper, folding it over, shoving it in the pocket of his jeans, " I'd like to move in today if that's okay. When I tried to get a room at the hotel, they said they didn't have any vacancies. The only place I have to sleep in is my truck and it's not too comfortable. "I'll give $1000 cash up front for the month if that's okay?"

"My jaw drops, "A $1000 cash?" It's too much money and he wants to move in immediately? How am I going to run this past Steele so soon with him already so questionable about Kane?

"If it's not enough, I can give you more."

He seems to have misunderstood my stunned reaction, "I hit your truck and you're not suing me. $1000 is more then enough money. Look, we can talk about it later. I need to get back to my tables before...."

"Aurora, what is he doing here?" I hear Steele sneer in a raspy voice from behind me. His shift doesn't end for a couple more hours. Why the hell is here already besides to start trouble?