Chapter 13

Kane

Aurora's house sits a mile or two out from the rest of the community, about seven miles away from the bar we work at, the bar I'm picking up our dinner from. I figured, with me being the outsider, it was most likely in my best interest to go somewhere familiar in an attempt to avoid any conflicts.

I'm on the main road making my way, thoughts of my kiss with Aurora filling my head, clouding my mind. The way my body melted when our lips collided, the way her hands ravenously ran through my hair, it sent turbulent waves to crash throughout my loins. I can't get Aurora Devon out of my head the entire drive craving for more of her touch.

Finally, I arrive at The Ridge. My hormones quickly calm when I see Steele's squad car sitting in the parking lot. I recall the plate number, something I made sure to burn in my memory for future reference. If I'm lucky, maybe he won't speak to me. Yeah right. I don't want any trouble. I never have yet. I see it being inevitable with all of Steele's pent-up animosity. I doubt he's not going to cause a scene.

I enter into the bar, heading straight to the hostess station. Leah is standing there staring directly at me with a devilish grin smeared across her face, "Hi Kane," she greets me in a seductive tone. There is no sign of Steele, thankfully.

My first day of work Leah made sure to consistently cross my path, nonchalantly always making physical contact at every opportunity. She's making it her mission to let me know she's available and interested. She's an extremely attractive woman, a tall blonde, small perky breasts with a vibrant personality. I want to be attracted to her. Dating her instead of lusting after Aurora would make my time here easier. She seems like she only wants something casual, but Aurora is the only woman I want, because we all always want what we can't have.

"Hey Leah. Aurora called in an order. I'm here to pick it up. Is it ready?" The closer I step towards the station the larger her smile gets.

"Yeah. I'll go grab it from the kitchen, handsome." Leah starts to walk off, making sure to run a hand down my arm before heading towards the back to snatch up the food. Nothing, I feel nothing.

I scan over to the restaurant portion of the bar, looking out for Steele during my wait. Still nowhere in sight to my content. Impatiently, I wait for Leah's return with the food so I can get the fuck out of here before I see the prick. I know I don't want trouble, I know if I see Steele, that will quickly change considering he gets off on pushing my buttons.

Leah doesn't take long before returning. I get the bag from her, making it outside thinking I've made it. When I look over at my truck I find out how wrong I am. Steele is standing there, leaning against my driver's side door, making sure I meet his deviant gaze.

I approach, making sure I stand only inches away. I want him to know he can't intimidate me, that his so-called power he thinks he holds doesn't mean shit to me. "You're blocking my door," I grunt snidely.

"Looks like I need to write you a ticket for that broken tail light," A huge grin pops up, he starts pulling out his pad with a pen seemingly pleased with himself.

There is nothing wrong with my truck, at least not when I got here. The anger starts boiling in me. I know Steele is going to make sure I don't leave here without decking his sorry ass. "What broken tail light? This truck has no damages." Then I look over to the back, noticing broken shards of glass along the concrete. "You dick! You fucking busted up my truck!" I retort, balling up my fists. It takes everything in me to keep my arms down to my sides. My nostrils are flaring, rage is emanating off of me like a hot steam bath. If it weren't for the simple fact he's a cop, he'd be down on the ground already.

He rips off the sheet from his pad, pressing it hard against my chest. His fingers uncomfortably driving into my skin. "You trying to insinuate something?" His voice deepens in a husky tone, his eyes sink digging into me with a death stare. Steele wants me to lose it, he wants me to become erratic, he's doing a great fucking job. My temperature is off the radar, wanting to break the fingers he has pressing into me.

I smack his arm down, the ticket falling out of his grip to the ground. "Fuck you and your bullshit ticket. I'm not paying for crap. If anything, you owe me a new tail light."

Steele grabs me by my arm, twists my body around so my back faces him, thrusting me into the side of my truck, so I slam into the hard metal with my dinner dropping from my hand, "You're now under arrest for assaulting an officer asshole."

I start laughing, "She doesn't want you and this is only going to drive Aurora further away dumbass." I taunt him, making sure I get under his skin the same way he's gotten under mine. If I can't hit him, I know I can at least hurt him in other ways.

Steele takes me by my hair, tugging my head back sharply, "Put your fucking hands behind your back now!" Out of the corner of my eye I can see his other hand sitting firmly on his gun, so I comply, ignoring the sharp pain and continue laughing to annoy the hell out of him.

He makes sure to tightly lock the handcuffs around my wrists before he takes me over to his patrol car, tossing me in the back when he's finished his harassment.