Chapter 19

Aurora

I'm sitting back on the couch relaxed, watching some random television series to bide my time while I wait for Kane to get back. I'm dressed in a body-hugging floral print dress that takes in all my natural curvy features with my hair tied back in a ponytail. I'm wearing the simple but tight cotton gown in a bid to impress Kane and garner more of his attention. I know whatever is aspiring between us is something beyond just physical, but it doesn't hurt to try and make sure I keep his eyes on me and only me.

I go to get up to get a glass of water and my phone goes off. When I look down at the coffee table where my phone sits, I see it's Leah. I ponder why she is calling me in the middle of her shift. Kane had made me aware that it was her Jonah got to cover my shift so we could both have the day off. She usually doesn't bother with her phone while she is working, as she finds it too much of a distraction. I also remember the last time she called me from work is when Steele arrested Kane, having me hastily grab the phone to answer.

A bit worried, I immediately ask, "What's wrong Leah?"

"Steele was just in here questioning where you were. He started freaking out when I told him you were off and with Kane. He said Kane was in car accident. When Steele saw you weren't here for your regular shift and found out you were with Kane, he thought you might have been in the truck with Kane. I didn't know if you had been in the accident either. Steele tried calling you right away, but you didn't answer, so he rushed off to the hospital. I'm assuming you were probably just avoiding Steele like usual. I'm glad you're okay, but I don't know how Kane is doing. Steele didn't really supply me with much information." A sigh of relief leaves her voice, but not without a hint of worry, without knowing of Kane's condition.

"Oh my God, I need to get to the hospital! I need to make sure Kane is okay!" Suddenly my whole body begins to tremble. An immense dark cloud of fear swarms over me as I start gasping for air, being all too familiar with this panicking frightful feeling. I went through this with Jason. It wasn't until I was at the hospital did they tell me he hadn't made it. Jason died at the scene of the crash with the doctors unable to save him.

"Call me or text me later and let me know if Kane is okay." Leah says before I end the call, my face already flooded with tears.

"Okay," I sniffle, hanging up. I grab my purse and keys, sliding on the first pair of shoes I can find, which end up being a pair of bunny slippers and jet out the door.

I drive faster than I drove to the police station the day Kane was arrested with racing thoughts running through my head. Memories of the past haunt my mind along with my worry for Kane and if he has suffered the same fate.

I pull up to Union Memorial, taking a spot in the lot. Instead of immediately rushing into the hospital once I cut off my ignition, I hesitate, resting my face into my hands with my head propped onto the steering wheel. I'm scared, the fear of losing Kane like I did Jason is overwhelming me as I cry in anguish feeling my stomach twist and contort uncomfortably.

I only stay situated like that for about 2 minutes before I grab my things and race out of the car into the hospital needing to know if everything is alright. If Kane is alright.

I'm about to get to the front desk to ask about Kane when a strong hand grabs me, pulling me into their thick solid chest and holds me firmly so I'm wrapped in their chiseled arms.

"Aurora, I was so worried about you! I thought you might have been in the accident too." I look up to realize it's Steele that has locked me in his embrace. His dark devious eyes syncing into me with concern but also with obsession.

I push back on his chest with my hands, breaking out of his forceful hold that never seems to want to let me go, "Kane, where is Kane?!"

"The other guy he hit is fine by the way. He's in 201 down the hall," Steele scowls snidely, nodding his head, disgruntled by my worry for Kane and lack of compassion over his concern for me.