01 | "you're not donnie"

|| Kenzie || || Boy ||

Kenzie stood in the middle of her balcony admiring the streaks of black and blue hues that painted the night sky while her fingers grazed over the familiar elegant carvings of the metal railing.

The infinite stars dancing around the full moon illuminated the dark sky, mesmerizing her.

She could feel the midsummer breeze making the tiny hairs on her arms stand up in delight. Kenzie longed for nights like this that calmed the storm in her head and washed away her worries, and when she looked up, the twinkling stars stared back at her in happiness.

Feeling content, Kenzie made her way inside her bedroom not before glancing once more at the glimmering sky. She noticed how the flickering light bounced from one star to the next, Kenzie sighed in happiness as she closed the balcony door behind her feeling bliss.

As she pulled the soft duvet and slipped in between, feeling the cool silk sheets underneath. Her tiredness took over and Kenzie knew she would fall asleep within seconds after her head hit the plush, feather-filled pillow.

But, sometimes things are better said than done and just like the nights before, Kenzie laid in the middle of her bed waiting for sleep to take over, and like always Kenzie's mind had other plans and started to work overtime replaying the horrid events of her cursed life.

The peace she felt before came to a halt when the gray clouds invaded her head darkening her mind, and the storm that had calmed started brewing up once again. She felt her throat clog and her cheeks moisten from the betrayal of her tears as she remembered the news she had received earlier that day.

It broke her heart. The same heart that held on to its pieces even when every member of her family passed away. It shattered into a million pieces that would be hard even for her one true love to pick up and piece together.

Because the Collins curse that she was cursed with came in full force this time after the little break it had taken, and just the thought of that made her tears come in full effect.

As she lay there in the midst of her mind's storm, thinking of what could have been. Her thoughts were soon interrupted by the loud ring of her cell phone. Kenzie slowly sat up and picked her phone up from her side table as she wiped her tear-stained cheeks not glancing once to see who it was.

"Hel-lo"

"HEY Donnie! My man, you know you can't miss your own bir -- Wait... you're not Donnie?"

"N-o... No, I'm not."

"Ohh, um... well... this is kind of awkward..."

"..."

"Hey... are you okay? You sound like you've been crying."

"Yea-h. Yes, I'm fine."

"I don't believe you but I'll take your word for it."

"Why?"

"Why, what?"

"Why would you take my word for it when you don't believe me?"

"Because whatever you are going through I know you will overcome it"

"B...but, you don't know me."

"Your right I don't, but you're here right? Living, breathing, taking each day as it comes. Some days will be harder than the ones before but enduring them only makes you stronger. Just know that strongest people aren't just born they're forged into the people they are because of difficult life circumstances they went through. So I know whatever you are going through you will conquer it as long as you don't give up."

Kenzie could only listen as the guy on the other end finished his statement with a slight slur at the end.

There was silence on both ends. Though the stranger might not remember the conversation they were having, Kenzie definitely would, and right when she was about to break the silence with two words that never felt more fitting for a phone call as randomly calming as this, he beat her to it.

"Well... I better get going Donnie just arrived, and shits about to get crazy."

"Ohh... umm... well... tell him I said happy birthday."

"Will do stranger!"

After the guy on the other end hung up, Kenzie stared at her phone in shock. Never in her life had she had a conversation as meaningful as this. The thought of it did something to her heart and she hoped that the feeling would not become a habit because it couldn't.

Right?

This call was just an accident that had once again brought back the peace she longed for.

Little did Kenzie know it wouldn't be the last time she heard from the mystery boy on the other end that did something to her heart.

The same heart that had stopped feeling three years ago.

Hi, I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! If you did I had really like if you'd vote and comment on this chapter

Hi, I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! If you did I had really like if you'd vote and comment on this chapter. It would be really nice to hear some feedback from y'all!

So... how did y'all like this chapter?

Definitely a serious first chapter but much needed.

Thankfully I was able to post this chapter A LOT sooner than I originally thought I had be able to, which is good lol! So I have decided that I will hopefully post chapters every Monday that way y'all are not lost with sporadic updates. It will also help keep me organized.

I also just wanted to take a second to vent a little. Guys it's ONLY the second week of school and I'm already SOO overwhelmed with school, work, my internship, and a bajillion other things, but this is my last semester before I hit the real world and I keep telling myself that it will be worth it in the end because it definitely will be! LOL

Have any of y'all started school yet? If so, how's it going?

Until then see y'all next Monday!

xoxo,

Wnnonjhoming

P.S. how many times can a girl say "y'all" before it become annoying?