"Yes, because unlike you, I actually know how to keep my alcohol in check," Ava smiled, placing a hand on her chest, feeling satisfied that she wasn't affected from last night.

"By the way, there's someone waiting for you out in the living room," winked Ava as she stood up from my bed and walked away before I had a chance to say anything else.

Wearing a puzzled expression on my face, I swiftly threw on a pair of sweatpants with a hoodie. Using my fingers, I combed the knots out from my hair as best as I could as I made my way into the living room.

My feet stop dead in its tracks as I spied Milo sitting on the couch with his elbows resting on his knees, deep in thought. As if sensing my entrance, he looked up and slowly rose to his feet. The awkward tension was slowly building up, but I tried to ignore it for as long as possible.

Suddenly, my mind went blank, and I didn't know what to say except for, "Hey."

"Hey," he replied, simple and smooth.

"You're still here," I said with a questioning and confused tone, eyebrows furrowed together as I try to figure out the answer.

"Yeah, I wanted to make sure that you were okay before I left." A soft smile tugged at his lips, yet there was a sincere intonation in his voice. My heart began to beat faster as I suppressed a smile from forming on my lips.

"But I guess I must've fallen asleep and didn't wake up until an hour or two ago," he chuckled, his deep dimples protruding on his cheeks.

"Oh," I responded with the driest, quietest chuckle possible.

Feeling as if the conversation was about to die and the awkward tension starting to feel a bit uncomfortable, I asked, "So, what happened to Nicole?"

"She came back a few hours later after us, and this morning, she has to go out and run some errands."

I nodded and added awkwardly, "Thanks, by the way, for bringing me back last night. I don't know what would've happened if you didn't."

"No problem." A friendly smile played at his lips.

"I know we only share one or two classes together, but it seems like we haven't really been able to catch up yet," said Milo as he rubbed the back of his neck.

I don't know if I should be grateful or curse the fact that Milo and I shared a class or two together. I had no idea what he was majoring in, but I did remember Milo telling me back in high school that he wanted to get into the Performing Arts industry like me, except that he wanted to be behind the camera instead of in front of it.

Too busy with my thoughts, I stayed quiet and Milo takes my silence as hesitation.

"I know there's some...awkwardness lingering between us, but I want to change that and get to know you again. We didn't exactly leave on a high note three years ago, but can we put that behind us and try to become friends at the least, right?"

My lips rolled in as I held my jaw from dropping. Welp, I guess he felt it too.

"Right."

BECOMING FRIENDS WITH Milo wasn't going to be as easy as agreeing to it, especially because my damn pulse would irritatingly become erratic every time I was near him or when his hand would accidentally brush against my skin, but I still had to give it a shot.

We were sitting in the tiny coffee shop James had shown me, Bella's, when I first came to Berkeley a week ago. Even though it didn't seem like a lot of time had passed since Milo and I began talking, the sun slowly began to make its descent into the horizon, the awkward tension between us also dissipating the more we conversed.

"Wow, that's really cool, Milo," I said, impressed. As it turns out, Milo had in fact followed his dreams and was majoring in Film Production in order to become a screenwriter, having an internship at a local radio station.

Just as I opened my mouth to continue, Milo's phone rang.

"Sorry," apologized Milo as he looked down at the Caller ID.

"No, go ahead. I'll still be right here," I said and he smiled in return. Milo stood up and walked out of the cafe so that he could hear them more clearly. As I waited for Milo, I took a sip of my Macchiato and observed the bustling street outside.

The bell hung above the door chimed and I turned my attention to it, expecting to see Milo walk back in. Instead, I saw James stroll in, aviators on. He shot a charming smile at me when he spotted me sitting in the corner of the cafe. After ordering his usual with Bella, he made his way over to me and sat in the seat that was occupied by Milo minutes earlier.

"Hey, Hads. Do you feel any better? Ava told me that you were battling a massive hangover when I came over to your dorm room earlier," James chuckled, his tone light and friendly.

"A little, but I don't think this hangover is going away anytime soon," I grumbled.

"How come you're here all alone? Where's Ava?" James inquired.

"I didn't come alone. I'm actually here with..." My sentence is cut off when I spot Milo at the entrance, a scowl on his face as he shot daggers into the back of James's head with his eyes.

James turned around to see what caught my tongue, and when his gaze fell on Milo, his body became rigid.

Milo made his way towards us, still focused on James. When he came to our table, an uneasy feeling settled between the three of us.

"Who was that?" I asked Milo, clearing my throat to gain his attention. His head snapped towards me, eyes hard and hostile. The burning flames in his eyes sent chills down my spine, but his features softened when we locked eyes.

"It was just Nicole, she called to let me know that she's back at the dorm." Milo picked up his jacket from the table. "I'll see you around, Hadley." A small smile exuded on his lips and I said goodbye as he walked out of the cafe without a glance or word to James, solely keeping his focus on the front door.

A deep voice caused my eyes to turn away from Milo's fleeting figure and back to the person sitting in front of me, "How about a refill on that Macchiato?"

_______________

A/N: Hey :) I don't really have anything else to say other than have a great day/week!

-Karlee 💛