1. Depression.

Khushi.

The golden hue of the morning sun seeps through the white satin curtains, the cool morning air rushes through the open window bathing my skin in it's gentle breeze.

I force myself out of bed, walking to the bathroom. I gaze into the mirror, hardly recognizing the woman that stare back at me, there is bags under my tired bloodshot eyes. My skin is pale, cheekbones more pronounced from lack of nutrition.

The bruise on my cheek stings at the slightest graze.

I ignore the rumble of my stomach, and pull the dress over my head. One word come to mind. Malnourished. Disgust couldn't describe the feeling that runs through my body at the sight.

My eyes fill with tears, I sniffle. Your ugly. Who would want to marry you.

I scratch my skin until it was red and raw. I sob, Ugly, ugly, ugly-

I make it to the bath after the meltdown. The water soothes my skin, the shower is my safe haven. I could cry as much as I want here, no one could hear me, no one is here to judge me. I am alone in my own space.

I wear a long sleeve to hide the scratch marks on my arms, straying away from the usual sari.

I pick up the piece of crap phone from the side table, running my fingers through my damp hair.

I dial the one number that could change my life for the better. "Hello this is Khushi Kumari Gupta, I am calling about the job application."

"Oh, yes. Ms. Gupta, we went over the details of your application. I am afraid that you haven't met the requirements of the job."

"I understand, is there any other jobs available that I-"

She interrupts. "You stated that you had no experience, and you don't have a college degree which is a requirement of the job."

"Yes. That is true, but I am hard working. I will be a great asset to the improvement of your company." I murmur, my voice hoarse.

"I am sorry, but we are looking for an experience candidate with a college degree." The line went dead.

Another failure.

My phone vibrates, a message pops up on the screen from the only friend and support I have.

'Hey, how was the interview.'

'I didn't get it :('

My phone rings, indicating an incoming call. I answer the moment it did.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his deep voice rumbles. The concern in his tone, warms my heart.

Aryan is big and rugged man with a scary demeanor, but he had a heart of gold. He is also very handsome, but that's not important.

"I'll be fine."

"Why won't you let me help you princess. You could work at my firm as my personal assistant, or I could get you a job in a design company. I have connections, the CEO of the company you applied and I are great friend. I could get him to take a look at your profile."

I sigh. "That's very kind of you, but I don't want to take advantage of our friendship."

"Your like a sister to me, I will do anything to get you out of that house. I do understand that you want to be independent, but you look sicker everyday. That is not a healthy environment." He mutters.

"I have duties to fulfill Aryan, they took me in when my mother died once I get a job I will pay them off and move on with my life."

"Okay, I won't push you. Just meet me at our usual meeting place." He hangs up. I know he is upset with my decision.