Chapter 10

Author's Note

OMG! Can you believe it? We are already to chapter ten! I hope you enjoy! Please let me know what you think, and what you enjoy. Today we are hearing from Penelope, whose POV do you what next week? Please enjoy!

Penelope's POV

As soon as James left a feeling of cold sadness spread through my body. I know I can't expect him to stop working and spend all of his time with me, yet I can't help but feel a sense of abandonment. However, abandonment soon turned to boredom. I fear boredom because it gives me time to be alone with my thoughts. While I was in the basement, I spent every day counting the number of bricks in the room. I would restart everyday, just so I wouldn't have time to think about what Percy did, or was planning to do. Now I am stuck in bed with nothing to do, but look around. It is nothing too exciting: grey walls, a small work space in the corner, and two nightstands on both sides of the king bed. I can tell he usually sleeps on the right side due to the indent in the mattress and a stack of books on the nightstand. Thank goodness! I carefully lean over and grab a few books.

Pain shot through my back, but it was worth it to get the books. I had managed to get the top three books. The first was War Strategies through the Ages, the next was The Guide to being an Alpha: key essentials for the new leader, and lastly was The Complete History of Werewolves. I decided to start with the last one, it would provide me with the information I need to learn. I got about a third of the way through the book before being interrupted by a young boy dropping off a tray of food, leaving before I could thank him. I ate while learning the origins of werewolves, and how the Moon Goddess created them, and I am started learning the roles of werewolves in the pack. Omegas make up the largest group they are the workers, then you have the warriors who protect the army, the gama is in charge of training the warriors and is the Alpha's 2nd, and the beta is the Alpha's right hand man who helps run the pack. The Alpha is the leader of the whole pack, and his mate is the Luna. The thought of being a Luna is intimidating, but the most intimidating part is the mating process.

As I am reading about the marking process, there is a small knock on the door, and a thin women who looked to be in her fifties walked in. She let out a gasp as tears began filling her eyes.

"Adelaide" she gasped as tears streamed down her face.

Rushing towards me she held my face in her hands her eyes moving all over my face. She ran her fingers through my auburn curls.

"Oh my goddess. Adelaide? It can't be." her eyebrows furrowed, "It can't be, you died"

"I am sorry, but I am not Adelaide, my name is Pennelope." her face paled as she pulled me into a hug sobbing.

I don't know what to do. Usually I would freak out if someone pulled me into a hug, especially a stranger, but I did not feel scared of her. Tentatively I pat her back, trying to comfort her.

"Oh my! I am sorry, you don't know who I am. I'm April-Mae, just call April darling, I am James' mom, and I was your mom's best friend."

"You knew Rose?" I ask skeptical about my adopted mom."

"No sweetie. Your mom was Adelaide. I knew her since kindergarten, and when she had you she was so excited. I was actually on my way to visit you when the fire started. No bodies were found, it was assumed their bodies were burned and buried under the rubble. We had assumed you died with your mother."

I don't know what to think. I never thought about my birth mom, and now I know that she was best friends with my mates mom. My whole life would have been so different if that fire never happened.

"What about my father?"

"Your father, Joseph, was killed by rogues shortly after your mom found out she was pregnant with you. She said you were what got her through everything. You gave her hope for the future."

I couldn't help tear up at the thought of everything my mom went through. I quickly wipe my tears and change the topic. April was happy to tell embarrassing stories about James as a kid.