Chapter 2

Penelope's POV

Pain. That is all I feel. The world around me is fuzzy. Trying to sit up pain shoots through my sides. Looking down I see a purple bruise covering my side and stomach. The events of last night are coming back to me. My head is pounding, and it is only made worse by the sounds of screaming upstairs.

"Storm?" I call out.

I am used to hearing voices of people who aren't there, but I've never heard screaming.

"I hear it too." Storm replied.

The sound of glass breaking and objects being smashed come from upstairs. Pulling myself up into a standing position I hobble to the bottom of the stairs. I know leaving the basement will result in a brutal beating from Percy, but I need to find out what is going on upstairs.

"This could be our chance to escape!" Storm

"You can't be serious! We can't ever escape. Percy says if we leave the people who murdered mom and dad will find me. He's the only one keeping us safe. He is the only one who can protect me."

"Penelope, do you hear yourself? That man beats you senseless he isn't protecting you. He is the one hurting you."

"That man is my brother. He could be in danger I have to see what is going on up there."

Ignoring Storm's escape plans I make my way up the stairs. Gasping I can't believe what lays in front of me. The furniture is torn up. Plates and windows shattered. The front door is hanging on by one hinge. Hobbling as fast as I can, I go outside to see the neighboring cottages set a blaze.

"What is happening?"

"I don't know. We need to get out of here." Storm replays.

What could be causing this? Out of nowhere five or six wolves race past me towards the cottage next door.

"RUN!" Storm shouted, "Go towards the woods! We can't be out here in the open. There's wolves everywhere"

Listening to her I run as fast as I can, with my injuries. I am almost to the forest when out of nowhere a wolf's claw reaches out. Hot knives slice into my side DOubling over I clutch my side. As blood rushes out of the wound Storm shouts at me to run. It was almost as if I lost control of my body. Something was forcing me to run. As I'm running I feel as though I am being drawn somewhere. In the distance there are lights shining through the trees.

"Safety. We have to make it inside there before more wolves come. Or worse your brother" Storm insists.

As I break through the trees I see a house up ahead. I run to the front door and I start pound on the door. No one is answering me, and the blood begins rushing out faster. I am beginning to feel light headed. Quickly I try the door knob. Luckily it was unlocked. The house appears to be empty, so I quickly run upstairs trying to find help. I pull open a to a bedroom. Running in I look for someone to help me.

"There's no one here!" Storm shouts, "We need to stop the bleeding"

Storm keeps shouting at me, but it is too late. For the second time in less than forty-eight hours my vision fades into darkness.