Chapter 31

The moment we've all been waiting for.

We were right in front of the meteor. Holy mother of god. This is frick frack sniddle dack tic tac crip crap hick hack snick snack motherilicious HUMONGOUS.  It was a purple shade of black and right in the center, there was a hole.... Not a hole actually, an opening, a deep and narrow opening which looked like an inside of a volcano. Full of hot molten fire and lava were mixed together.

"Woah" all of us say in unison.

"Chief we're right in front of the meteor."

"Congrats. Now shoot the missile."

"On it" after some buttons "chief the missile isn't loading." She exclaimed

"What are you talking about?" Ravi asked, his face urgent "Its gonna pass the safe zone in a few seconds!!!"

Jake and Ryan were both looking at me and I at them.

"Chief!!!! The missile is missing!!!" A sentence which made Ravi whip his head to look at her in fear.

We three remained silent.

We looked at the screen. The meteor had passed the safe zone.

This is it. We're dead.

"Wait." We heard Chief say "It was George who was responsible for all this. I'll send you some pictures the cameras in the ship caught."

Jake and Ryan looked at me with an expression of fear. We're caught.

Lux and Ravi went through the photos again and again. They then look at me.

"Why did you do this?" I heard Lux's voice crack "Never mind, we lost anyway." She continues to stare at the missile which is now way beyond the safe zone.

"Have you ever felt this before? Coming so near to something just to lose it again? When success comes so near but in truth its just failure teasing you?"
.............

All the people in the station looked worried. One of them came up to me.

"Chief, my family needs to know about this, so can I make and let them know? I won't disclose anything about the mission though."

I simply nodded and he rushed out of the room, with some more people following just to do the same.

I then lied back on my chair. I looked beside me to see an empty chair. Priya's chair.

She didn't deserve that. But she did eavesdrop, and that's a bad habit.
..........

I heard a voice through my comm "Received the missile. Released your son. Good job. This is my last message to you."

"Ravi, my son's safe."

"He is?" Ravi's face lit up and so was Lux's

Lux spoke into the comm "Sorry for the late announcement, but the missile is locked in and ready to shoot."

"Also" Ravi spoke in "There's still two minutes for the meteor to reach the safe zone."

"Good job Ryan!!!" I high fived him. He sat there with the biggest smile as he hugged his hacking pad. That's his favourite teddy bear.

There was no response from the other side.

"Chief? Are you there?" Lux called out

"Yes!! I am there. I was so speechless about the good news. I am so relieved."

"Missile ready for launch.... In... 3... 2.... 1.... Launch successful."

Man the sight was beautiful. The missile went in the heart of the meteor. After a few seconds, the whole thing blew up into thousands of pieces, big and small. It was like a firework, a big beautiful firework.

It didn't last long though. A huge chunk of the meteor came and it hit the left wing of the ship.

And we went down, plummeting  towards the Earth.