03 | Hidden Secrets

IN THE MIDDLE of the living room were Nicole and Milo. Nicole giggled as Milo swept her off her feet, and spun her around in his arms, her back pressed against his chest.

After Milo released Nicole, she turned around and they were face to face. Milo leaned down and placed a quick kiss on her lips, making me feel queasy.

Ava was quick to close her mouth and cleared her throat a bit louder than normal, interrupting their moment. They immediately pulled away and looked at us, shocked to have some company. I felt my face begin to heat up and jabbed Ava in the ribs.

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" Nicole asked curiously with a soft smile.

"Uh, well," I said quietly, slowly averting my gaze to my toes.

"I guess we're your new roommates," Ava interjected, finishing my sentence.

"Oh, that's great!" Nicole responded, shimming out of Milo's hold. She pranced over to us and engulfed Ava in a hug. At first, Ava was surprised and froze like a deer caught in headlights, but then returned her embrace.

"I'm so glad you guys are my new roommates. I know we're going to be great friends!" Nicole said with a giant smile. She let go of Ava and shuffled to the side. I greeted her with a soft smile, and it was my turn to be engulfed with a warm embrace.

Nicole began to talk about all of the things the three of us could do together to bond, but I wasn't paying attention. My smile dropped as I looked over at Milo, and he gave me a small, friendly smile. But his eyes said something more.

There was a glint of something hidden behind his eyes that flashed briefly before he masked it away, hoping that I hadn't caught on. But unfortunately for him, I did.

That spark in his eyes scared me because I knew that look all too well. It was the same longing, yet crestfallen look I had on not too long ago.

I must be crazy, I thought to myself. He has Nicole. Why would he be disappointed?

For some stupid reason, I couldn't bring myself to look away. His stare was too powerful and enthralling.

Milo also seemed to have the same problem, and we continued to stare at each other for what felt like an eternity until Nicole stepped back, pulling me out of my daze.

"Sorry if it seems like I come on a bit too strong. I'm just a bit more friendly than most people, which I hope isn't a bad thing," she chuckled softly.

"Of course it isn't. It'll help us become friends even faster," I said, using only my lips to smile. Her shoulders relaxed a bit, and a brief second of awkward silence ensued.

"Well, we'll just get out of your way then, and you two can go back to...what you were doing," Ava said quickly, the awkward tension growing so thick that you'd need to cut it with a sword.

A blush crept onto Nicole's face as Ava grabbed my arm and dragged me towards the door.

"Oh no, you guys can stay if you want. This is your dorm too," Nicole said gently.

"We still should go though. We're actually meeting up with someone," replied Ava.

"Who?" Milo questioned, finally breaking his silence.

"James," I interjected.

A faint scowl played at Milo's lips, confusing me even more. With tensed shoulders, a tinge of jealousy and exasperation hid behind his eyes. What's up with Milo and James?

"Oh, well don't let me hold you up. I'll see you later then," Nicole said, oblivious to Milo's scowl.

"Bye!" Ava chirped, dragging me away against my own free will. As she closed the door, I took one last peek at Milo. Staring back at me, a slight frown was etched onto his face, as if he was disappointed to see us leave so soon.