Too soon for laughing then. 

Eventually, when we clambered off the bus we fell into stilted conversation. I wasn't quite sure if I was prepared to face the day, especially with conversation so frigid. I gritted my teeth and walked with the others to the gate. Things would get better.

Tom was waiting for me, a sure sign of better things. The girls looked at me unsurely before going ahead and walking through the gates without me. Tom held out his arms to me and like a lost child now found, I surrendered to them.

"Hello," he said, his chin resting on my hair. "I've been worried about you." I cuddled into him, happy he was near. "I'm sorry, about Sophia and Kieran I mean. I should have said so on Friday."

"It's OK. Thank you for taking me home," I mumbled into his chest. He stroked my hair. I would not push him away this time.

"How was your session with Collins?"

"You remembered?" I'd only told him in passing conversation,

"I always do." And so I told him how she'd been her pushy, irritating self and had dismissed me within half an hour. He laughed.

We were then interrupted and I slipped from Tom's grasp. He smiled at me dopily before I turned to focus on Mandy. Her eyes involuntarily caught Tom's, lingering strangely for a moment and then she lowered her gaze to mine.

"Chris there's something you should see, or rather someone" she said, grabbing my hand and stealing me from Tom. I wanted to hesitate, shake her off, but the determination in her face told me not to.

"I'll see you later," I compromised, allowing myself be led away from Tom.

Mandy pulled me forcefully into the school grounds. In the center stood a group of people, all of which I knew. All four turned to inspect me. Beth and Jude bore wide smiles on their faces, the inhibitions of sorrow gone. One of the others wore a mocking grin, likely having just been told of my tears and upsets over the past few days. The final person was smiling at me. I eyed them apprehensively, not sure if they were really there. Mandy pulled me onwards into the ring of spectators.

"Well Chris it looks like we were worrying over nothing! Trust us to overreact like we did," Beth squealed. They all gawped from Kieran to me, hoping for some dramatic reunion.

"Yeah, it would seem that way wouldn't it." An irrepressible irritation rushed through me. My glare was only meant for one. Kieran was completely obtuse. "Could I talk to you privately Kieran?" It was not a request.

"Sure." He acted cool and collected in front of the others; I wished he'd squirm. I walked ahead of him, making sure we were at a fair distance from everyone else. Clenching my one good fist and scowling, I swiftly turned to face Kieran, catching him off guard.

"What the hell was that? Why would you let me worry like that?" I growled steadying my stance and furrowing my brow further. His face remained bemused.

"Worry you like what exactly?" he challenged. I could have slapped him.

"You know full well I knew you were in Chicago. I worked out what you are by myself remember? I am not stupid Indigo Boy."

"So what I was in Chicago with terrorists and bombs and horror? I told you that I'd always come back. You obviously didn't listen to me." He started to become louder, battling my shouts with his.

"If you'd have seen what happened to you from my perspective you too would have been just as frightened as I was!" I clenched my jaw and crossed my arms. It was constantly in the back of my mind that he could knock me out with one outburst but I didn't care "Even you can't deny how much your job is Hell so don't try preaching to me!"