Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

Accepting it, she raised an eyebrow, "What's this for?"

"To wear, well, that's what people tend to do with jumpers."

Raven, who had entirely anticipated Damian's reaction, rolled her eyes, lips lifting in spite of herself.

"I know that, I meant, why do I need to wear this?"

"You'll see in a second.", he replied, irritatingly ominous.

Sighing, Raven slipped on the jumper, au de Damian hitting her in an instant. Allowing herself to relish in the comforting nature of his particular smell as it rolled over her in soothing waves, Raven noted that it was somewhat like...apples. Yes, definitely apples. Oddly nice. Calming.

And strangely similar to the scent of rain too. In the past, Raven had never understood the concept of a person smelling like rain, as books often described it, but now, she saw where that came from. Like when you step outside on to grass as the sun is rising, and the dew is heavy on each blade, and the air smells so... fresh. Yet, at the same time, it carries the memory of torrents of rainfall as the atmosphere buzzes with electricity in a thunderstorm. An entirely separate mood, but still, the air is so...fresh.

Jumper fully on (with the sleeves going past her wrists) Raven quieted an eyebrow once more, curiosity peaked. Rather than respond verbally, Damian gestured for her to follow him, walking to the double-doors at the the end of the room.

As Raven's feet, in ankle boots, hit the balcony floor, an icy wind danced through the air, blowing strands of hair away from her face. The sun having set long ago, the view before Raven was one of darkness, all light being blocked out by the nearby evergreens.

"This way.", Damian's voice broke the quiet, causing the addressee to face him.

Much to her surprise, Damian had clambered on to the ledge covering the balcony, having used the railings as a platform to climb up.

"What are you doing?", Raven queried, tucking an unruly lock of hair behind her ear.

Spreading his weight evenly on the ledge, Damian grinned down at her, "Tt. Just follow me."

"You-mmph- know I can -mmph- fly, right?", she grunted, pulling herself up besides Damian, only to find that he'd already moved on to the next ledge up.

Rolling her eyes at his antics, Raven searched for a way up to the next platform, finding difficulty in locating a way up due to the darkness. Shutting her eyes, Raven sucked in a shuddering breath before allowing her eyes to flash open, now a brilliant scarlet.

Vaguely, she registered the enraged screams of Trigon in the deepest pit of her mind- after two years, it was all to easy to drown out his irritating taunts and tirades. With her vision demonically enhanced, Raven found the fissures in the brick with unnatural ease- or rather, preternatural ease.

Two ledges later, and there were no more to climb. Assuming that Damian wanted her on the roof (at least that's where Raven had last seen the incessantly irritating boy) she reached out for the roof tiles to hoist herself up. However, before her hands could meet slate, a rough, calloused one secured her forearms, pulling her.

Knees- protected from the cold by denim alone- met the slanted roof as Raven knelt on the tiles: heart still racing at the momentary prospect of her falling; despite the assurance that she could levitate.

"You took your time.", Damian chuckled standing in front of the currently red-eyed demon.

Lifting her head up, Raven sent him a withering glare, one which he responded to by extending his smile.