Chapter 27: Second Star to the Right

Start from the beginning

"And my brother?"

"I can't see Peter or Wind, but it seems as though most of the animals have fled the northern foothills. My guess is their camp is near the river."

Hook's jaw tightens as he gazes in the direction I indicate. Placing a hand on his sword hilt, he steps forward to the edge of Lookout's Peak. Silently, I offer him the spyglass, and he studies the landscape.

"That's definitely their location," he says after a moment.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." Hook hands the spyglass back to me. "I recognize Wind's work. She always forces the boys to build her a private shelter out of leafy branches. They construct their hiding places in a circle around hers to protect her."

Peering through the spyglass, I examine the northern foothills again. I turn a knob and enhance the terrain around the river. At the Fords of Fortuna, I see the shelter Hook described. It appears to be a mess of tangled undergrowth and fallen branches, but I can see a tiny wisp of smoke rising through a hole in the brush.

"I see it." I attach my spyglass to my belt and step back. "As much as I hate to give them any compliments, they did a good job."

"They should." Furrowing his brow, Hook keeps his face focused on the northern foothills. "I taught them how to do it."

"You trained those delinquents?"

"They didn't used to be like that." Hook sighs deeply. "Very few people are born truly dark, and no one is completely in the light. Except perhaps you."

Throwing my head back, I laugh loudly. Hook stares at me confusedly while I continue shaking in mirth. Finally, I manage to subside into chuckles.

"Yesterday, I attacked you with swords," I manage to choke out. "I've spat on you, sided with your brother, forced you to wear a blindfold, and shoved fruit in your face. And you still think that I'm..."

My sentence trails off as I dissolve into laughter again. Hook shrugs.

"You didn't know my brother, yet you still tried to protect him. You had absolutely no reason to trust me, but you didn't let my crew perish from the northern devil shadow. And even now, you haven't exacted revenge for your father's death." Hook runs a light fingertip across my cheek, down my neck, and points towards my heart. "With all the darkness in your life, you are still made of light."

"I thought I was a storm."

I try to hide the rising heat in my body with a joke. Hook chuckles. I find the deep rumble in his chest strangely comforting.

"You could never be just one thing, Jimmy. You're far too complex for that. You are a storm on the winter sea. A deep breath of cool air. A dreamless sleep in silk sheets." Hook places his hand on the back of my head, running his fingers through my hair. "You are the light of a sailor's star guiding me home."

"Would that make you the star that keeps me from danger?" I ask lightly.

"I'll be whatever you need," Hook vows. "Whenever you need me, I'll be at your side."

"The second star to my right." I smile slightly. "So you agree to the plan? You'll stand by me today?"

Hook says nothing, but looks at me with keen, clear blue eyes. I nod, satisfied with his unspoken answer. I know he will be with me to beyond the end as he promised yesterday.

"Then let's start."

Staring across my land, I draw my swords. I'm done playing other people's games. It's time to end this on my own terms.

Good morrow to you all!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't believe that Flying has over 500 views and 100 likes! That means more to me than I can express. Please continue reading and voting. I'm also so excited to announce that Flying has ranked First Place in Fantasy in The Goddess Awards and was also selected as the first Winner of the Week by The Monthly Book Awards.

Fun Fact:

Fortuna is the Roman goddess of fortune and fate. She could bring bad or good luck, and her father is Jupiter. She is often shown with a ship's rudder, a ball, a wheel of fortune or a cornucopia. Sometimes, she is depicted veiled or blindfolded like Lady Justice.

Please come back next week to see what happens to Jimmy and Hook! They haven't seen the last of Merlin, Peter and Wendy. 

May Fortuna favor all of you,

Commodore Caroline