The Sun and the Moon

Tides of Virtue – Chapter 19 (Fairy Tail Fan-Fiction)

Hair like threads of spun gold as it flew in the wind, and eyes the dangerous color of blazing hellfire, the warrior, dressed in a full set of silver and crimson armor with a katana in each hand, glared at the enemy that she'd had to kill thousands of beasts to finally reach. Behind her were her fallen opponents carcasses', which were burning, sending scarlet flames into the sky, tainting it with the grey of smoke, making it looked like the barren land of a lava plateau.

"Zeref!" the warrior shouted, grip tightening on her blades as the black-haired boy turned toward her, his eyes the rich color of blood and his robes a deathly black as they fluttered in the slight wind that swept the battlefield.

When his gaze landed on the warrior, he looked at her with a profound sadness shadowing his features. "I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this, Ciara," he muttered sadly.

"Nor I, Zeref," the warrior, Ciara, said, the same sorrow echoing in her soft-spoken words. "However, I must fight for what I believe in...and I believe that, though humanity has made mistakes, they do not deserve to be wiped from this land." Clenching her teeth, the golden-haired girl fought back tears. "What happened to you? We were once friends, were we not?"

Gazing off into the distance, not meeting her eyes, Zeref replied gently, "yes, we were." A faint smile pulled at his lips, but was then replaced by a frown. "Our destinies have taken us down very different paths, though. Yours one of light. Mine one of darkness."

Taking a step toward her old friend, Ciara lowered her weapons. "It doesn't have to be that way!" she cried, desperately. "You don't have to do this! Please!"

Suddenly, Zeref raised a hand and it began to glow with black energy. "Yes, I do," he said simply, before two great demons rose up from the rubble around him. One was scaly with a long mane of hair flowing down its back, and the other was tree-like; they both possessed the same hollow eyes and humanoid physique. "Meet Deliora and Lullaby," Zeref said sternly. "I'm afraid this is where it ends for you...Ciara..."

Tears billowing in her eyes, the warrior poised for battle. "You know I loved you, right?" she inquired, watching as the two demons stalked around her like she was prey and they the predators.

Turning away from her, the dark wizard stared off into the distance. "As did I, you," he whispered, his words seeming to float through the air and wrap around her, making her unable to move. "I still do, and I will continue to love you until I am void from this world."

Caught off guard by his passionate statement, Ciara was unable to react quickly enough as the two demons lunged at her, one grabbing her torso, the other her legs. Each pulling opposite ways, Ciara let out a cry of pure agony and horror as she was torn in two, her own blood staining the ground a dark crimson.

~

Bolting up in bed, Serenity hugged her blankets close to her chest as a bloodcurdling scream ripped through her throat. Everything Ciara had felt was coursing through the Water Dragon Slayer's small body: her fear, her betrayal, her longing, and the excruciating sensation of her flesh being stretched to its limit before finally bursting...hot, sticky blood erupting from her like an explosion. A few moments later, Serenity's door was flung open and Lucy dashed over to the distraught girl who was cowering back against the headboard of her bed, still screaming like a banshee.