BGM - Hemmings 01

This was a tumblr request ⬅️ this is actually not what they requested Bc I misread but I'm too far in to scrap it now so enjoy this one too

Basically Luke is your school's star quarterback

High school AU

I tried to write this but it got unnecessarily angsty so here I am trying to fluff it out

Luke
"Y/N have you heard the news?" Your best friend, Michael, approached you at your locker as you were getting ready for Calculus.

You had noticed that the halls were buzzing with something, but you weren't sure what or why. You weren't directly in the school gossip loop, you simply didn't care to hear about every detail of the lives of the most popular kids, mainly the football boys and cheer girls. Besides, whenever something actually interesting happened Michael would tell you. "What? Were Calum Hood and Leigh caught making out in the closet instead of going to Psych again?"

"No-" Michael began excitedly.

Unfortunately you were feeling particularly sarcastic so you spoke over him, "or maybe Ashton Irwin fell asleep in Bio and Mr. Feldman pranked him awake, again?" You mused.

"Y/N I'm serious!" He rolled his eyes, "Luke and Ivy broke up! They're not going to homecoming together!"

Well it was more interesting than the usual news spreading about, "what? Why?" Okay maybe you were more interested than usual because it was Luke. Luke who had lived a few houses down from you your whole life. Luke that was your childhood best friend and who you and Michael used to hang out with in middle school. You used to have a thing for him even when he was short and scrawny with that stupid swoopy hair. Things were different when you got to high school, Luke tried out for the football team and as soon as he got on it it seemed you and Michael weren't priorities anymore. Honestly it was kind of a dick move, but you liked him enough to look past it. You let him be, and moved on with your life.

"She cheated on him with a football player from Lincoln High," Michael said grimly. Your jaw dropped. They were your rival school! Cheating was bad but that must have been betrayal too, especially since your team was going against theirs for the upcoming homecoming game.

"I know right," Michael whistled lowly, "that's a whoooole mess."

But then the bell rang, and as much as you loved gossiping, you loved being on time more, so you hurried off with Michael to Calculus without another real thought toward Luke.

He came up later though, from an unexpected source. You had just gotten home, dumping your backpack in your room and then going to hunt for snacks. Only your mother was in the kitchen and making arguably the best thing ever. "Who's Birthday did I forget?" You asked eagerly as you watched her pour the chocolate cake batter into the pans. You loved it when she made chocolate cake, which wasn't often.

"Nobody's," she laughed, "we were invited to dinner at the Hemmings' house tonight and I didn't want to go empty handed."

"Oh," you shrugged, "I guess I have to go if I want cake?" That was pretty much your only motivation at that point. You enjoyed Luke's family but it was always awkward seeing him no matter how polite the two of you were.

"Yep." She nodded with a smile, "so go put on something nice and meet me down here in an hour."

You sighed loudly. This event required dressing up too? You did it though, for the chocolate cake. You showered and put on nice black pants and a ruffled white blouse that made you feel like a pirate. You still had a few minutes, so you decided to text Michael before heading down.