Chapter 32 (Wynn)

Wynn

Wynn

"I can't do this." My voice is thin and breathless as I cling to Cole's firm hand, the contractions so incessantly painful that I'm nearly numb to their effects. I've got to be crushing his fingers, but he makes no effort to pull away. Instead, he brushes a stray tear from my cheek, his maddening calm causing my anger to spike.

     "You can, and you will." His ardent determination and the simplicity of the sentiment make me want to sock him in the face and also smother it with kisses.

     Needless to say, I'm not in the best state of mind right now.

     "Breathe, sweetheart. It's almost over." He eyes the monitor, tracking my current contraction to its end.

     "We're going to begin pushing with the next one," Doctor Hollister says. She was here within minutes of the staff reporting it was baby time for the Galloway's, despite the fact that she wasn't on call today. I might be reluctantly impressed if I weren't in so much agony.

     "'Kay," I grunt, repositioning myself on my elbows, though nothing I've done thus far has alleviated my discomfort. The prospect of holding Lyla in my arms has me ready for action, even if I am in doubt of my ability to survive the means of her arrival.

     "Ready?" Cole nods toward the screen, indicating the beginning of another dreaded contraction.

     "No! Why-- I just had one!"

     Dr. Hollister chuckles. "You're in active labor, Wynona. You'll have them every minute or so until you deliver."

    "Hell to the-- ohhh!" The tedious clenching of my abdomen silences my sass, giving way to a surprising desire: I push without being coached. Like a woman possessed I bear down, every muscle in my body burning with tension.

     "I see her," Dr. Hollister chirps. "Keep pushing!"

     And I do, for what feels like days. In fact, I'm ever more convinced that I'm going to die like this-- fatigued beyond measure, desperate with thirst and strained to the point of my demise. What a way to go, though.

     "This is the one," Cole says, startling me out of my pit of despair. "One more push and we meet our little girl." He runs his hand over my sweaty forehead, brushing the sticky hair out of my eyes.

     "You're gonna be a single daddy." I shake my head, willing away a torrent of tears. "I'm not gonna last much longer."

     "You're so strong, Nono, do you know that?" He smiles, his eyes bright with moisture. "It's no wonder God put women in charge of childbirth. No man could ever handle this shit."

     "I second that," Dr. Hollister agrees from where she's perched at the foot of the bed. "Now, give me all you've got. Let's get this baby out!"