Chapter 3 (Cole)

Hey everyone! Above, Thunder by Imagine Dragons. Below, Cole, who has simply had enough :)

 Below, Cole, who has simply had enough :)

Cole

"Look, I'm just sayin' if you keep adding muscle like this, you're gonna look like a beast— like Thor or Colossus," Ari Castillo says, irritating me like a buzzing gnat that I'd like to smash with my bare hands. Unfortunately, smiting the coach's son would be frowned upon, so I endure. Painfully.

We're suiting up in the locker room for our first scrimmage of the year against Lincoln High. Basically a warm up game before our actual season begins when school starts. We've practiced as a team off and on for a week since I returned from Mexico, and we're as ready as we can be for my final season of high school ball. In all honesty, this might be the best this team has been in my four years here.

I've been playing football with these assholes since I moved here when I was thirteen, and though several of my teammates annoy the shit outta me, our team wouldn't be the same without them.

We're damn good this year.

"You and Meatloaf, here," Ari persists, gesturing toward my good friend Homer Kingston, "Are going to need your own zip codes, but for very different reasons."

"Hey, I work every bit as hard for this body as he does for his," Homer says, taking Ari's ribbing with much better humor than I am. Homer is huge, and easily one of the best linemen in the state. He's also the reason I haven't eaten much turf over the past few years.

Their banter lightens the mood, inspiring a few snickers and wisecracks, which is a welcome distraction. The atmosphere is charged with tension, each of us anxious over the first unofficial game of the season. Ordinarily, it would just be another game, but this one is different, with two scouts in attendance.

Plus, as if that isn't enough pressure, my personal coach will be there recording the play-by-play for my dad, who's up in Canada at another meet and greet. Bill is far easier to please than my father, but knowing that every detail of my performance will be up for scrutiny upon his return in several days has me edgy.

Add to that the fact that I've been nothing short of a walking disaster since we returned from Mexico, and you've got a failure in the making. I know that's the wrong way to approach the game, that my attitude is pathetic.

Turns out I don't need my father here to lecture me after all. I can beat myself up on my own.

Still, I can't get my mind off of her.

Wynn and I escaped the gala, choosing instead to finish what we'd started in the alley earlier that afternoon. It had been weeks since we'd spoken and months since we'd fooled around. But when we kissed, it was like we'd never parted ways.

We knew what we were doing was dangerous, what with four parents and two siblings just down the hall, but there was no way in hell we weren't going there. The black dress she wore was like a dare, challenging me to deny my feelings or own up to them.