~Chapter Four: Part IV~

When I opened the door to my home, I saw my family had just sat down to dinner. All looked up at me as I entered and I froze guiltily. "Sorry everyone, I lost track of time. I went to the barn to take care of Jasper and Jet after I was done in the garden."

They simply nodded, and my mother gestured for me to sit down. It wasn't unusual for me to be late to dinner thank goodness. It happened every once in awhile as it was true I lost track of time easily when immersed in my work or with the animals.

Taking my seat, I joined in the blessing of the meal and then dug in to my mother's fantastic cooking. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until now! Tonight was venison steak, mashed potatoes, roasted corn, and a freshly baked apple pie for dessert. Mama was teaching me how to cook and bake more advanced recipes. Although I was definitely not as good as she was, I was learning. Perhaps I could bake something special for Red Thunder sometime? I blushed at the thought. I seemed to be constantly thinking about him, and it wasn't in a professional, patient/healer sort of way!

When I was finished with my meal, I cleared my place and helped my mother with the dishes while father smoked his pipe by the fire, my brother listening as he advised him on farming strategies. I shook my head with a smile. My father liked to give my brother lessons on everything he deemed important. My brother, looking up to Papa as he did, hung on to his every word. Our father wanted Georgie to be just like him, caring for this land and the small farm when he was gone.

Dishes done, I yawned widely and headed to my room. There I changed into my long white night gown, and washed my face in the water basin I kept on my dressing table. As I collapsed on top of my bed with an exhausted sigh, Shep came trotting in, tail wagging. I laughed and patted the foot of my bed, beckoning him up. Happily he leaped onto the mattress, making me bounce up in the air slightly with a laugh, then curled up and closed his eyes, already beginning to snore. Petting his back, I bid him goodnight, and then hunkered down into the blankets, plumping my pillows with one hand.

Just then my father entered the room and snorted. "You still sleep with Shep in your bed? He's not a puppy anymore, and he's filthy, Winnie."

"I know Papa, but I feel much more comfortable having him with me, he'd get lonely otherwise. And he isn't filthy!" He would never understand having a strong bond with an animal, sadly. He just viewed them as either food or tools. I was only glad he didn't apply the same principles to his children!

Father sighed. "Fine then. Just don't say I didn't warn you when you get fleas! Goodnight, dear."

"Goodnight Papa, sleep tight."

He grunted and quietly shut the door, walking off towards the bedroom he shared with mother. I smiled in amusement. He wasn't the most affectionate sort of father, in fact he was rather grouchy, but he did care about his family. That is what's important I suppose, but sometimes I really wished he wasn't so hardheaded and stubborn! Especially concerning the Indians. He told me it was only because I was a sheltered young woman that I felt so compassionate about the issue, but I don't think that's it at all. I think he and the many others like him simply had it in their head that the Indians weren't human, and used them as convenient scapegoats. They wanted the land, and were going to justify its taking however they could. How they were able to think like that was beyond me, but then, I didn't tend to think like everyone else anyhow.

I one time overheard Papa telling my mother that he was concerned my oddities would prevent me from finding a suitable husband. That had hurt a little, but I wasn't looking for a husband anyways. None could possibly live up the kind of husband I had constructed in my dreams.

Well maybe one could, I thought wistfully, thoughts drifting to the hidden brave in the hayloft...

I sighed and shook them off. I would never get to sleep if I kept obsessing over Red Thunder!