Chapter 66: Satisfied

Start from the beginning

It's odd, with how bad it hurt, I could've sworn Tom snapped the bone, but maybe my pain tolerance just isn't as high as I thought it was. Maybe I just overestimated how hurt I was. I mean, I must have. Maxine told me yesterday it was just a sprain, and I feel perfectly fine now.

"Lucky you. Although, you always make it out okay, even when it seems impossible." Owen laughs. "It's almost like you're invincible or something."

"Or something," I reply with discomfort. "I'm good at what I do, but that's only because God's watching over me. I'm not untouchable. No one is."

"Yeah, from mind control especially." He perks up. "Hey, Kefilwe was talking to me when she was checking my leg and she said they might have a way to make people immune to mind control through hypnosis."

Hope blossoms in my chest, and I tip my head to the side in curiosity. "Hypnosis? Has this theory been tested?"

He shakes his head. "No, it's supposed to be tested on Christmas Eve. I uh, think they're going to ask you to be their guinea pig."

I blink. "Why do you think that?"

"B-because you're you. You-you've survived things that most people wouldn't. I mean, you saved me from being hit by a train, you killed a man who actually made himself immortal, not to mention you survived his experiments. If it goes wrong, you're one of the few people who'd make it out alive."

"You think too high of me."

"A lot of Abel thinks of you like this."

"You shouldn't. I'm just a person. Nothing special. I mean, I've heard people say I sound different, but that's because I'm American... who lived in the South. Other than that I'm no more different than any other runner."

Owen shrugs. "If you say so, but they probably are going to ask if you'll be the one they put under hypnosis to see if you can be made immune."

"Probably," I say, internally groaning. It's not that I don't want to be immune, but we'll be trying to make me immune via a way we aren't sure works. I want to make sure I'll be immune to mind control. I want to make sure Moonchild won't get ahold of me.

But sadly that's not what I'm being given, so I'm going to just have to take what I can get. If it'll make me unable to be mind controlled, then it'll be enough.

I look around, seeing how red Penelope's cheeks have become, and how Molly's nose is running. I stand up, deciding it might be best if I get the children to go inside. I'm immune to sickness, but they are not, and getting sick is not something you want to do in an apocalypse.

"I need to get the kids inside," I say, sending Owen a glance. "Are you coming?"

He stands, but shakes his head. "No, I'm going to head over to the track. I have a run tomorrow so I know I need to do a little something today to keep up my strength."

"Are you sure you should be doing that when it's this cold out?"

"I'll be fine. Don't worry about me, Five. I'll see ya later, yeah?"

I nod. "Yeah."

I walk over to Milo first, since he's still sitting near the slide in own little world, drawing. I can only imagine what he's conjured up in that head of his this time. He's so good at it. He brings so much happiness in his drawings, so much hope.

He and Sam are alike in that aspect. They're good, even with the things they've seen, the things they've lost. They still have hope.

Now if only Milo wanted to be a radio operator instead of a runner...