Ch. 2 - The Untouchable God

Start from the beginning

"I know," I sighed, wishing the journey to our locker would come to an end the next second. But no, and to make matters worse, Landon's locker was not anywhere near mine. But I decided to suck it up and make baby step toward my goal of becoming more independent and I told him I could walk to mine on my own and I will meet him later.

At least my locker was next to a tall set of windows that had a beautiful view of the forest behind our school, as well as the impressively large football field that clearly showed how much the school cared about the sport. Well, Landon was going to be happy.

In matter of seconds, what happened was definitely not my definition of a peaceful & incident-less first day as my face decided to make contact with a soft brick wall. And before I could even have time to process what happened, the raspy voice to whom the soft brick wall chest belonged to, growled "move."

And that was it, the end. I shuttered as his shoulder collided with mine as he walked past me, but more like pushed past me. Whoever that was, clearly did not have breakfast as breakfast is fuel for your heart and mind. That's what mom said whenever one of us would skip breakfast.

I realized my phone was not in my hands when I was about to text Landon. And behold, there it was, on the ground with the screen completely cracked. Not only did he hurt my arm, but he also stepped on my phone. Thank god Landon weren't here or it would have caused a ruckus as he would demand the jerk with the cashmere sweater inside a leather jacket to apologize to me. I let out a big sigh and picked up my now-cracked phone, but felt relieved to see it still worked.

The first half of the day was thankfully peaceful as no other incident happened. Lunch was always going to be nerve wrecking for me, so I went to the library with my packed lunch and told Landon to go sit with his new friends. He weren't too worried since I always did the same thing back at East High, too.

As I started working on my homework, a pair of combat boots started approaching my table and I silently prayed that they would not end up here. But, no. My peace was disrupted as long curly brown hair sat down across from me and excitement beamed from her voice.

"Hi! I'm Nicole! But everyone calls me Nick. Well, actually, no one calls me that but maybe you can! You're new right? Can we be friends?" how could someone talk for so long without stopping for a breath?

"I... um..."

"It's totally fine, we can chill in silence and minimal talking. I'm sorry if I'm overwhelming, I get that a lot. But I had to befriend you, we have like 3 classes together." Oh. She was in my classes. Of course I wouldn't know.

Come on, Avery. Remember the goals. Making friends. More independent. Memorable senior year.

"I... I'm... I'm Avery." I mustered all the courage I had and slowly peeked at her. Nicole was a gorgeous brunette with freckles that reminded me of Matty. She seemed so kind, and friendly. No one ever approached me back at East High before because I was Landon's sister. But here, people didn't know yet. "Nice to meet you, Nick."

"Oh my god!" She beamed again. "You are my favorite already. My other two friends are coming soon since this is our usual table for lunch!"

Oh, no. Two more?! I thought about my maximum capacity for being a decent social being today and two more would mean over capacity. Oh god.

"Oh... I'm so sorry. I didn't know this table was taken..." That's why she sat down here, god now I felt bad. "I can leave if-"