"GO!" He mouths to her and Bianca pushes open the door. The two prisoners escape and start running toward the gate. Bianca hangs onto the keys and the guard that had been asleep is now awake. He begins to chase them and the dark haired scoops Bianca up and  does the sprinting for the both of them. The boy helps Bianca up and over the fence and then he follows her. The two stay together and run to the streets.

"We'se can stop now, we'se lost em," He says as he peers over his shoulders nervously. "Da name's Jack Kelly by da way."

"I'se Bianca Higgins!"  Bianca replies quietly. She and Jack shake hands and he smiles at her.

"Well, ya got a place ta stay?" Jack asks her and she shakes her head. "Ya wanna stay at da Newsboys Lodging House? Dat's where I'se lives an I'se a Newsie." Bianca shakes her head again. She wants to find her own place and does not want to live with a bunch of boys. "Ya shoah? Dese streets ain't safe at night and da bulls will be lookin for us soon enough. I'se got annudah idea." Jack takes her hand and the two walk over to Irving Hall. Pushing open the door, a woman turns to shoo them out. When she sees Jack, a smile breaks out onto her face.

"Jack Kelly!" The woman cries excitedly, "Where on Earth have you been kid?"

"Hey, Miss Medda! In da Refuge. In fact, I'se got ta ask a favor o ya," Jack replies and pulls me next to him.

"Oh, darling!" Medda gasps as she looks at my street soiled clothes. "What's your name and how old are you?" Bianca quickly tells her and Medda's  eyes widen at her story. "Good thinking to bring her here, Kelly." Jack shrugs his shoulders in an innocent way. "Would you like to stay here for awhile? Sounds like you had a rough day and it would be better if you did."

"Shoah, dat would be real nice, Miss Medda!" Bianca says with a grin. "Besides I wouldn't want ta get Jack in any more trouble."  Medda lets out a roar of a laugh and Jack blushes at the teasing. "Seems like youse prone for trouble."  Jack peeks out the window and heads for the door.

"Well, I'se bettah get on back ta da Lodge. Fellas will be watitin on me," He says as he opens the door.

"Thanks for helpin me!" Bianca declares as he leaves and Jack gives a wave.

Fast forward ten years and Bianca still lives at Irving Hall and Medda pays her to work at the theatre. Recently, Medda has discussed moving to a different theatre in Manhattan. The popularity of her shows are rapidly requiring a larger venue. Bianca is thinking of finding another place to live since she is fifteen now and can take care of herself. A short while ago, she had heard about a Newsboys strike happening with a Jack Kelly as the leader. Bianca is reminded of the boy who first brought her to Medda that night so long ago. Jack had stopped in frequently, but had most likely forgotten about her. Bianca loves working with Medda, but she had missed seeing Jack and it had been a long time since she had seen him; however, she missed her older brother even more. Suddenly, a hand on her shoulder startles her from her thoughts.

"Bianca, are you alright, sweet heart?" Medda asks sweetly and Bianca jumps a little bit at her touch. She shakes herself out of her trance and asks,

"Yea, was I lookin a liddle green in da face or something?" Medda chuckles at her young charge and pats her shoulder again.

"Something. You doing alright, you seem a little worried," Medda states, looking at the typically outgoing and sarcastic girl. Bianca shrugs and notices Bryan, one of the stage hands coming up to the concessions bar where she works.

"Nice ta see ya ugly mug," Bianca greets sarcastically and Bryan laughs at the sarcastic nature of the insult.

"Hello to you too," Bryan says quietly and Medda shoots Bianca a wink.