Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

Besides, he had already placed a bug in the room to hear what Bruce, Constantine and Zatanna would be discussing. Stride affirmative as ever, Damian stalked towards one of the many hidden exits, stopping when a voice called out.

"Still got that chip on your shoulder, eh?", John chuckled.

"No,", Raven smirked, "he's just a caustic pessimist."

Damian turned around, smiling in spite of himself, "I'll take that as a compliment."

"You do that."

Bruce intercepted what would have turned to an exchange of sardonic barbs, just as Zatanna had done a few minutes ago, "Have you met before? I can't remember ever meeting you with Robin."

John pointed his thumb at Damian, "You're Robin?", the teen nodded, "Blimey.", Constantine sighed, "Well, of course we've met, not when you were there 'course."

The head of the Wayne household nodded his head, arms folded, leaning against his chair, indicating that Constantine should expand on that.

"Look, mate, this one", he once more gestured to Damian, who now stood at the door, scowling, "has an insanely strong magical and demonic presence, of course I had to see what was going on. So I came to the area, he caught me following him, we had a little chat, no harm done."

"Are we done here.", Damian drawled, not wanting to spend any longer in there, regardless of Raven's relationship with the two newcomers.

Bruce nodded, giving him leave to slip away.

"I'll be off too.", Raven said, disappearing in to a portal, knowing that Zatanna and Constantine would reach out to her later on.

***

Rendering his foe incapacitated, Damian sliced off the hologram's arms, finishing it off with a decided thrust through the heart. Katana twirling through the air, appearing as no more than a sliver of silver, darting in and out of the assailants. An extension of himself, Damian moved as one with the sword, beyond agile to the point of disbelief.

Using all forms of physical combat at his disposal, the ex-assassin made short work of the opponents, knocking down holograms with entirely poised and precise jump lines kid; well-placed punches; and ruthlessly driving his katana through them with the skill of Leonardo DaVinci painting.

The attackers kept appearing, throwing hits that were all to easy to deflect. Lumbering. Clumsy. Too slow for them to be a real challenge.

Through the device in his ear, Damian listened in on the conversation between John Constantine, Zatanna Zatara and his father. So far nothing interesting had emerged: Bruce just wanted assistance in filling in files on types of preternatural- which the two had refused to do.

"I'm sorry Bruce, but as we've already said, this is a breech of preternatural law.", Zatanna's voice broke through the earpiece.

Damian side-kicked a hologram in the head, listening as his father queried, "preternatural law?"

"Yes, preternatural law.", Constantine exhaled, "No non-preternatural beings should know of their existence. Yourself and the other League members, and whomever else, knowing is an exception."