The Seer

Chapter One: The Seer

“If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...Would you slow down? Or speed up?”

-Chuck Palahniuk

*------------*------------------*----------------*----------*----------*-----------*-----------------*---------*

14 Months Left

                What can be said about Life and Death once you’ve lived a thousand times? Can you truly look upon the stars without a jaded heart? Do you bow your head amongst elders? Would you be eccentric or wise as a thousand year old soul, residing in a 20 year old body?

~*~

All my life I’ve ran, I’m Gifted, a seer of Death, of the Future. Through physical contact, I can sense a person’s demise, and let it ring through my bones. And for all my life, instead of judging and pitying people because of their past, I do it because of their future. But there are those that are wicked in this world, those, who know of me and my peers, and our ability, and that is why I am in hiding. It is cruel and unjust for one to know of the End for them, so those that thirst for knowledge, must be cast down. But most people don’t respond well to rejection, now do they?

~*~

                My eyes snapped open as I breathed in the aroma of fresh French toast, I grinned internally and swung my legs over the edge of my plush bed, and gingerly I lowered myself onto the creaky wooden floor. Gruffly, I combed my fingers through my knotted hair and padded down the stairs into the kitchen of my humble apartment. “Hello sweetheart,” a deep throaty voice uttered. I just smiled at the back of Andrew, my long time boyfriend, as he slaved over the stove.

                “Good morning darling,” I chirped in response. I could already envision the steady trademark smirk that was no doubt plastered upon his face. Andrew was also a seer and as odd as it sounds, our relationship felt normal. Today we were supposed to be visiting headquarters, and for the first time since we’d met, we were to be separated.

 Ever since Andrew and I met in freshman year in high school, we’d clung to each other, which meant double the relocation. We knew nothing else other than to blame each other for the constant uprooting, and we were both being worn thin.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by Andrew clattering a plate down onto our quaint kitchen table. Today was a touchy day for the both of us, it’d become too risky for us to travel as a duo for any longer. I sat myself at the table and Andrew sat across from me, facing me, and piercing my soul with his blue eyes. He jammed his fork into his breakfast and began digging in, while I just roughly shoved the food around on the plate. Once Andrew was filled to the brim, he set his fork down and stared at me. “You know, this might be the last time you get a chance to eat my cooking.” He mumbled.

“I honestly doubt it; we always end up meeting again in every lifetime.” I shot back. He just rolled his eyes and sighed.

“Honestly Juliana, eat. I have a bad feeling.” He whispered darkly, his eyes glazing over. I just mumbled incoherent words under my breath and slowly ate, savoring every bite while Andrew slowly studied me. I sniffed, annoyed, and went upstairs to gather my materials for the meeting at headquarters. Andrew and I had separated appointments so we could not find the whereabouts of where the other was to be shipped off in a month’s time.

“Goodbye!” I shouted as I exited the apartment and slammed the door shut. I began navigating the busy streets, avoiding contact with everyone. Before I knew it I was standing before a shabby, black, thick, iron door.