#13: Concern

Itachi Uchiha had never been one to use people. He genuinely believed that those who took advantage of others for their own personal gain were scum. But even the young Uchiha knew when he needed the services of another.

Which is why he began dating Karin Uzumaki.

It came as a shock at first. Kisame Hoshigaki almost choked on his own saliva when he first heard the news from Itachi himself. But he accepted it nonetheless.

That didn't stop him from being just a little suspicious.

"I swear, this whole time I kept thinking you had a thing for [Name]," commented the blue-haired man one morning.

Itachi scoffed. "And why would you think that? The woman drives me insane."

Kisame shrugged his shoulders. "So anyway, tell me about Karin. What's she like?"

"She's amusing."

It was the Hoshigaki's turn to scoff. "Amusing? You expect me, someone who has known you for almost a decade, to believe that you suddenly began dating this woman, who "coincidentally" goes to the same university as your little brother, because she's amusing? You're going to have to do a little better than that, Itachi."

The raven-haired male scowled at his companion before muttering a sharp, "Believe whatever you want."

Kisame grinned in victory. "Are you sure you're not using her to keep a watchful eye over Sasuke?"

All he got in reply was the sound of the front door being slammed shut.

*

Itachi couldn't believe that Kisame had called his bluff. He absentmindedly ran a hand through his hair as he paced the streets until he found himself standing in front of the tall, majestic building- Konohagakure University. It didn't take him long to spot the redhead amongst the other students. He swiftly walked up to her and ushered her away from the crowd, much to her surprise.

"Itachi! What are you doing here?" She looked puzzled beyond measure. Karin Uzumaki was a final year psychology student who had a slight obsession with Sasuke (that Itachi quickly noticed when they first spoke). They had very less in common but Itachi found her to be a talented young woman who had a bright future ahead of her.

They weren't together in the conventional sense. Itachi knew for a fact that she was only attracted to his looks. It didn't bother him- in fact, it made matters a whole lot less complicated. He disliked hurting people's feelings, especially of those who had done no wrong.

"I just wanted to see you," he lied smoothly. "I want you to spend the day with me. Please?"

The Uzumaki nodded. "Mm! Let me just go tell my friends!"

Itachi hurriedly shook his head. The last thing he wanted was to be spotted by anyone. Needless to say, it would irreparably damage Karin's reputation, even though she had previously confessed that it didn't bother her to be dating an ex-criminal. Despite that, Itachi wasn't comfortable with putting an innocent girl through the torture that would follow if people were to find out.

"There's no time for that."

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted his brother. Sasuke looked as aloof as ever as he marched into the campus with a pink-haired woman by his side. Just as Itachi turned to leave, he caught sight of a certain [h/c]-haired woman.

"You take her class, don't you?" he questioned the redhead.

She simply nodded. "She's an amazing teacher! Although, she hasn't been turning up to class these days. The dean is going ballistic but she still gets away with it. Why?"

"Does Sasuke take her class?"

"Sometimes. Now that you mention it, I've seen him in almost all of her classes lately. It's weird 'cause he's a Lit student. Maybe he wants to switch majors?"

Itachi gritted his teeth. She told me she'd stay away from him.

It was the first time Itachi Uchiha ever felt this worried.