the best things happen when you least expect them (iv)

Start from the beginning

"Doctors are- are supposed to be good," Zayn cried into his uncle's shoulder.

"I know, niño, I know," Liam repeated to the boy, tears threatening to fall again.

"On the weekends, he- he started telling my coaches I should start doing ice baths. He would always watch and- and when I would get out he'd pick me up and make me take off my boxers," Zayn spoke mumbling. "He'd take his shirt off too cause of the body heat stuff."

"Baby, I am so sorry," Liam spoke into the boy's hair, kissing his forehead while keeping his eyes shut tight. "I want you to tell us everything, Zee, but we're gonna have to tell this all to the police, so if you want to wait to say it all at once we'll understand."

"The police?" Zayn asks with wide eyes.

"Yes, baby, the police. What that man did to you– what those men did to you, is wrong on every level. They need to be dealt with by law enforcement," Niall explained while grabbing the boy's hand.

"N-n-no, no I only wanna tell you, so now- now I don't have to go back."

"Zee, we're not gonna let you go back there, but what if other people are being hurt? We need to tell someone so this ends," Liam brought up.

"S'only me, only my pictures are in the box."

And though both Niall and Liam feel their hearts tighten at that, they know that this is not something they're going to just brush over.

"I think you should take a nap, baby, and then we'll talk about this more when you wake up again, okay?" Niall offers to which Liam doesn't even wait for a reply before standing with the boy.

Zayn never does reply, though, and simply lays his head on his uncle's shoulder before finding himself being laid back onto his bed. Without even needing to ask, Liam settles in with the boy, running his fingers through his hair until finally the young boy fell asleep.

+

Zayn doesn't know how long he was asleep, but he does know when he wakes up he's alone however he can hear several voices coming from downstairs. The boy grabs ahold of his crutches and makes his way to the bathroom to wash off his face a bit before finally making his slow descent down the stairs. The first people he sees when he makes it down are his cousins along with two other boys he doesn't recognize watching a movie on the TV while eating a casserole Liam often makes for dinner.

Harry spots his cousin first and waves him to join the group, but Zayn just shyly remains where he was by the stairs. Harry recognized the shyness take over his cousin and quickly stood up while gesturing Zayn to follow him to the kitchen. This time Zayn did follow, however, now he wishes he hadn't upon realizing Niall and Liam had two guest over as well.

"Dad, Zayn's up," Harry says as the two of them enter the kitchen area.

Upon hearing his son's voice, Liam and Niall both look up and smile at the two as Liam makes his way over to lift Zayn up.

"You have a nice nap, sweetie? You feeling better?" Liam coos while brushing hair out of Zayn's eyes.

Zayn just nods with wide eyes as he shyly looks to the two unfamiliar men in the room.

"These are our friends Ashton and Calum, sweetheart. Harry, go back into the other room and tell the boys you need to stay in there for a bit. Us five need to have a bit of a chat," Liam says in a cooing voice because he can feel how nervous Zayn is.

Harry looks skeptical but nods as he makes his way out of the room, Zayn looking towards him longingly not wanting to have to discuss this anymore.