the best things happen when you least expect them (iv)

this is super short but I thought you guys deserved an update! maybe if I have time I'll be able to finish this prompt series by tonight.

______________

Liam refused to let go of Zayn.

Not when Niall went to excuse themselves from their guest who were still downstairs. Or when he called the boys friends' parents to pick them up as well as have one set take Louis and Harry with them to sleepover. Not even when Niall finally arrived back in the room and quietly announced that they needed to discuss this.

Liam sighed as he wiped away the tears that had slipped from his eyes, tightened his grip on the child that was still clutching to him like he was his last breath, and finally stood up. Zayn whimpered at the movement but all it took was Liam tightening his arms around the boy and the boy was once again silent. From there the three made their decent down the stairs where they once again settle themselves down, this time on the couch though.

"Baby, can you- can you look at us please?" Liam chokes out slightly, clearing his throat midway because he knows the little boy needs him to be strong.

It takes Zayn a couple minutes but the boy manages to pull from his uncle's neck to look at both men– eyes red and puffy.

"Lovey, I know this is hard but we need to talk about what you just told us, okay?" Niall coos to which he receives a hesitant nod. "Alright, so let's start with discussing how they punished you, yeah? You said it was the headmaster and then again your coaches? Did this happen to other students?"

"The-the headmaster would punish me a-and the older boys who lived there for stuff, but the coaches pun-punished everyone else because when they did something wrong it-it was footie related," Zayn choked out.

"Did Julio hurt you, too, love?" Liam asks thinking back to the man he had met briefly.

"N-n-no never. He-he spanked me when I broke h-house rules, but his were nev-never- they never were like the others."

And honestly at that Liam can't help but take in a breath of relief because he had honestly thought the man was genuine.

"Alright, now love, we need to talk about the other thing, okay? Can we do that?" Niall coos as he runs one hand behind the little boy's head while the other rubs circles on Liam's back. And much to his relief, he receives a nod back.

"Was it- how- did it happen from multiple people?" Niall stutters out because he honestly doesn't know how he's supposed to go about this whole thing.

"No, n-no," Zayn answers almost immediately. "It was- it was just one person. A-always the same person."

Niall and Liam could see Zayn was preparing to tell them more, he just needed the moment to collect his thoughts and emotions.

"H-h-his name is Coach Ant-Antonio, um, he-he's our team physical therapist."

And yeah that hurt Niall and Liam because they know– they know– how often Zayn was injured, and for how long of a period in which he required physical therapy.

"It started w-when I was e-eight. I, uh, I pulled my hamstring, so I had to get it c-checked. Be-before that every-everything was normal with him. He'd smile, help-help out during games, but then- I finally went to see him. He was stretching and rub-rubbing out my leg, and then- and then he started going high-higher. When I told him to- to stop, he said he was pos-positive that I strained my-my groin, too, and he was- he was just trying to help. I thought- I thought he was helping me, so I-I let him keep going. I promise I didn't know it was bad, I-I promise."

"Shh, baby, shh, it's okay I know," Liam cooed as he held the boy back to his chest. "That man took advantage of you, baby. You had every right to think he was going to help you, babe, and I'm so sorry this happened. I'm so so sorry."