Chapter Twenty One

"Emma?! Emma is that you? Wait! Don't go!"

Emma pauses from her heart beating erratically within the confines of her chest because she knows that voice. She would recognize the voice anywhere and just like that her stomach turns with dread.

Regina must have heard the sound of that woman's voice calling through the midnight air because she is quickly scrambling out of the car. Concern is etched across her face, deepening lines into her flesh that express just how worried she is.

Snow White draws her arrow firmly across her bow while her eyebrows pinch together in confusion. Her husband stands tall and proud next to her, his sword held high in the air ready for another fight.

"Stop!" Snow demands, aiming her weapon at the woman rushing toward them.

"I just need to speak with Emma," she pleads softly that elicits a groan from the back of Emma's throat.

"What could the owner of our ice cream parlor possibly want with my daughter?" Snow protectively interrogates as she takes a few quick steps forward.

The woman chooses to ignore the former princess and her weapon, her eyes only showing Emma Swan attention. Her feet halt just in front of Emma, her mouth forming a sad smile before she reaches out to caress Emma's pale cheek. However, Emma dodges the unwanted touch with a scowl embedding into her face.

"Ingrid, what the hell are you doing here? Shouldn't you be locked up somewhere?" Emma coldly snaps just as Regina steps beside her, ready to attack the woman that caused both of them so much heartache so many years ago.

"Emma," the older woman softly coos either ignoring Emma's tone or simply not hearing the coldness whatsoever. "This is not how things were suppose to happen. The apprentice, he told me of the prophecy and this is not how things were suppose to turn out." She shakes her head sternly while her eyebrows draw closer together. "I was trying to protect you from Regina." She smiles sweetly but Emma knows she's manipulating her into believing the crazy woman's words. "I knew Regina was the Evil Queen and I had to make sure you were safe. I honestly thought she gave you something that night. I thought you were high and then it hit me." The woman grows serious as she snaps her fingers at the old memory clouding her mind. "I thought maybe I could push your instincts and awaken your magic so you could protect yourself."

"I didn't need protecting from Regina," Emma exasperates finally reaching her limit with this Regina bashing. "We were sixteen and in love."

"How do you know my daughter?" Snow inquires as she finally encloses the gap between them.

"While you were so quick to toss your daughter aside, I was taking care of her. I love Emma. We were almost a family, I was going to adopt her," Ingrid explains with love filling her eyes as she gazes upon the blonde. "We are meant to be sisters and unite."

"I was trying to protect her!" Snow snaps as fury clouds her mind and her grip tightens around her weapon.

"Enough! I am so done with all of this!" Emma bellows. "I'm done with this magic and this town and people expecting so much more out of me because of some destiny. Regina get in the car, we are leaving," Emma sternly states, kick starting Regina's feet to scurry around the the vehicle. "Snow, David, I will speak with you soon." Emma shakes her head at Ingrid before she slips into the backseat and slams the car door shut. "Drive August, I want to get the hell out of Storybrooke."

~~~~~~~~~

August drove his car to where he made Emma and Neal ditch their little yellow bug, just outside of Storybrooke. He dropped off Neal, Emma, Regina and Henry and took off faster than they could have ever expected. It seems as though a careless life on the road was calling out to the unfaithful man.