Chapter Sixteen

Emma finally closes the book softly, but the damn thing is so heavy, a loud thump still resonates in the empty space between them. Regina watches intently as Emma's thin fingers trace the lettering once again, absolutely consumed and drawn into this book. She's utterly horrified of what's to come since Emma has finally seen the heinous crimes written out and illustrated to perfection, leaving nothing left for her imagination. Her heart is slowly cracking as she examines the side Emma's face because she knows there's no way the woman who has stayed by her side for twenty-one years will stick with her now.

Understanding that admission, Regina instantly feels the way her heart is slowly tearing, the cracks of her broken heart are being ripped apart. She's not upset that Emma was reckless after she was dragged to Maine, because she herself was audacious with her choices in life. She was missing Emma so desperately her first two years away, she participated in many activities she rather not discuss ever again. So she understands wholeheartedly how Henry must have came about and she doesn't even hold it against Emma, because there's something far more heartbreaking about this situation and she's unsure how she will start this topic of conversation with Emma.

Emma breathes out an uncertain breath as she slowly lifts her head to gaze upon her son. "This is really cool...kid," she whispers as her pale fingers curl around the cover of the book and disappear somewhere between the pages.

"I thought you would like it," Henry smiles with pride, a smile that Regina has seen a million times before. It's Emma's smile, a smile that sends her heart soaring with nothing but love. She is studying every inch of his face, deciding what features belong to Emma, Neal and even the intolerable Snow White. She's too invested to notice Henry turning his attention toward her, until he speaks again. "So grandma told me that you're best friends with my mom." Regina blinks to wake herself from her consuming thoughts of the precious little boy and watches as his curious green eyes flick back and forth between her and his mother. "That's why you won't come upstairs, right? You don't want to leave your friend alone?" His little button nose crinkles as he tries to understand why his birth mother is refusing to leave the basement and spend time with her long lost family.

As she stares at this little boy, the Queen within resides somewhere to the back of her mind, fully allowing Regina, from this world, control of the situation for Henry's sake. Regina remains quiet as her eyes dart to Emma for guidance because this is Emma's son and her choice on what he should or shouldn't know. Emma's matching freckled nose wrinkles just like her son's and Regina knows that expression all too well, Emma doesn't want to explain the truth.

"Yes Henry," Emma breathes dramatically as though her lungs cannot contain the lie that is sure to come. "I've known Regina since I was five and this book," she pats the leather cover with force to punctuate her words, "nor my parents could ever change my mind about Regina. She's not the Evil Queen, you need to trust me on that."

Regina's heart flutters as though the damn organ spontaneously sprouted wings and is about to fly away from her body. Her bottom lip pouts out as she stares at Emma with all the love her body can produce, which is a lot more than everyone in this room believes is possible from her evil heart.

Henry seems to consider his birth mother's words as his little head falls to one side. He's assessing Emma in a way that is far too mature for his young age, but he must be advanced for his age to comprehend all of this. His thin lips press firmly into a line and slowly slide to one side, creating the most adorable crooked pout.

Suddenly a thought flashes across his dark green eyes inspiring him to face the Queen head on. He exhales slowly and scans Regina's face for any true signs of evil.

"Are you going to help us?" He rapidly questions taking Regina by surprise.

"I beg your pardon?"