Chapter Twenty

A violent gust of wind stole everyone's balance in the room as they all stumble back from the force. A small gasp slips from Snow White's mouth but she is the only one to make a sound while the rest stand completely still, watching the Evil Queen and the Savior intently.

Regina swallows the awful mass constructing her airway in the back of her throat while her eyes pop open to gaze upon her one true love. Her true love, that was just confirmed by a simple kiss. She watches, holding her breath for the moment she knows is about to come.

Emma's eyes spring to life, extending as far open as her eyelids will allow. There's pain, fear and confusion consuming her beautiful green orbs just before her body instinctively flings forward. She inhales sharply, her lungs still holding the last breath she was granted before she slipped away. She chokes on the oxygen as her hand claws at her throat, desperately trying to control her breathing.

"Sssshhhh," Regina softly coos as her fingertips curl damp golden locks behind Emma's ear.

Emma's gasping for air while attempting to regulate her breathing all while Regina strokes her hair to calm down her loved one. Regina's lips are automatically lifting into a smile just knowing that Emma is awake in front of her. Her heart is swelling with love and pride knowing she saved this woman's life.

"Re-gina," Emma stutters through a shaky exhale and grips tightly onto Regina's dainty wrist in front of her.

"I'm right here," she confirms to soothe Emma's terrified mind. "You're alive. You're going to be just fine," she vows with all the confidence in the world, but the happy tear rolling down her cheek only confuses the blonde before her.

Emma's mind is still a discombobulated mess. She's hopelessly weaving through her recent memories to formulate a reason as to what just occurred.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" She mutters in a pout, soft enough for just Regina's ears to hear.

Regina smiles and sniffles out a small chuckle. She clutches onto Emma's face and caresses the pale flesh with her thumb while pulling the blonde in closer to connect their foreheads. Regina sighs the moment they touch inspiring her grin to spread even wider.

"Nothing's wrong. Those are happy tears. I'm just so happy you are alive and safe," she breathes into their intimate bubble.

"Not that I'm not thankful or anything, but how the hell am I alive?" Emma questions with her inadequate knowledge of magic on full display.

"I'll explain it to you later," Regina whispers prompting Emma's head to nod, knowing she trusts Regina wholeheartedly to explain everything when their chaotic life around them stops spinning. "Just know that you are my one true love."

"I already knew that," Emma laughs playfully not truly understanding the underlining meaning of Regina's words.

"Oh Emma thank goodness you're alright," Snow rushes out as her feet stumble forward to greet her daughter. She kneels beside her long lost child and reaches out, despite her inner fear that Emma might reject her touch. "We were so worried. Are you okay? Does anything hurt? Do you feel weak?"

"Jeez, calm down Snow," Emma states as she sits up a little taller, straightening her posture. "I'm fine. I feel...normal," she confirms as Snow attempts to brush her unruly hair to one side, but Emma is quick to dodge the unwanted touch.

Snow physically shrinks before everybody's prying eyes and sighs as though she is blowing out all her hurt and rage that has been bottled up for far too long. Emma watches the woman carefully but chooses not to comment on her defeated appearance.

"Emma, I'm so sorry about all of this. Please just try to understand where we were coming from. An evil sorcerous cursed our land while seeking revenge in hopes to murder me. You can't possible think that I wouldn't be wary of the woman when we found her?"