Chapter Fourteen

"Emma," a stern voice cracks like a whip into the night, forcing her eyes to pop open.

Her knees are throbbing, her back is straining, she's pretty sure she won't be able to turn her neck from the stiff muscles and her head is extremely fuzzy. Suddenly the softest touch is running lovingly through her tangled hair.

"Emma," the voice calls again making her feel like a scolded child.

She groans in return and attempts to slowly move her head...into a lap? Emma's eyes spring to life as she realizes the touch and the voice don't match. She knows this warm touch though, it's someone she finds comforting and familiar. She peers up through her thick eyelashes and smiles when she sees Regina's flawless face peering down upon her, despite how exhausted she may look.

Emma's head tilts to the side as she examines the brunette's expression. She's struggling to pinpoint an emotion as those enchanting brown irises stare right back at her. An icy chill skates down her spine when she draws to the conclusion, she can't read Regina's face like she used to.

"Emma," the unfriendly woman chants again breaking apart the intense gaze that she has found herself in with...the Evil Queen or Regina?

"What?" The sleepy blonde snaps as she turns her attention to Snow White.

"You cannot stay down here every day and night. It's been three days," her mother commands, but Emma won't be following her rules anytime soon. She was never a rule follower to begin with, that was more Regina's style.

"I'm staying with her," Emma repeats for what seems like the millionth time.

At least last night Emma was able to convince her parents to bring down a cot for her to sleep on. When she assumed everyone would be fast asleep, she untied Regina and offered the woman a proper sleeping arrangement.

Every night Emma has checked to see if anyone was standing guard and every night Red had been rooted to her post just outside, while Rumpelstiltskin was comfortably keeping watch in front of the other door.

"Emma, I would like to speak with you in private about something rather important," Snow softly speaks as she places a tray down on the chair that was suppose to be occupied by a certain Queen.

"Talk," Emma deadpans as she reaches for the bagel at the corner of the tray.

"I believe this is something delicate and we should discuss between just us," her mother claims as her dark green eyes flick back and forth between Emma and her enemy.

"Either talk in front of Regina or don't talk at all, either way I don't give a damn," Emma states, unaffected by the woman standing before her.

"Enough with the games princess, spit it out," Regina snarks as she straightens her posture, never wanting to seem fragile in front of her nemesis.

Snow snaps her attention toward the Queen and glares at the woman in annoyance. As well, Snow squares her shoulders and stands just a smidge taller, not wanting to appear frail in front of her former stepmother. 

"There's someone I would like you to meet," Snow explains as her eyes slowly drift toward her daughter and ignore the Queen.

"Okay, then free Regina," Emma casually bargains as she pops the bagel into her mouth.

Emma breaks a piece of the bread and offers half to Regina. The brunette eyes her lover carefully, studying her chipmunk cheeks from biting off far more than she could chew. Of course Emma would offer half of her food to Regina. She's always taking care of her and looking out after Regina.