Chapter Ten

August proceeds to follow Emma's path behind the log cabin when he is taken by surprise and jerked back toward the front yard. Neal grips the black leather jacket and shakes Emma's friend like a rag doll. August attempts to wiggle free, his hands smacking against Neal's but that only infuriates the other man even further.

Emma's boyfriend slams August against the side of the cabin with all his rage. Baby blue eyes double in size as August realizes Neal was dead serious about all his threats.

"What the fuck did you do?" Neal growls low enough for only the two of them to hear. He can't risk Emma hearing this conversation.

"Get off of me," August frantically cries as he tries to pry Neal's hands from his jacket. The other man pulls back and slams August against the cabin once more.

"I asked you a fucking question. What the fuck did you do? Are they here? I swear to god August if you dragged us here for them, I will fucking kill you," Neal threatens as his rage clouds his better judgement.

"You don't get to dictate her life."

"No, I don't," Neal pauses as hot rage courses through his fingertips inspiring his hands to slam August into the solid wood once again. "...but neither do you. We were happy."

August laughs in Neal's face humorlessly and shakes his head. "You honestly think she was happy? You're delusional, you know damn well you weren't her first choice."

"Fuck you," Neal spits as his grip tightens around the slick, black leather jacket. "Emma deserves so much more than this."

"She deserves so much more than both of you," August retorts without any hesitation.

"Like you know what Emma needs," Neal sarcastically quips as he leans in even closer to his enemy. "You were never around for her."

Both men are unaware of their surroundings as they glare at one another in challenge. Neal's upper lip quivers while nothing but hate pulsates through his pupils. He did everything in his power to keep Emma hidden for nine years and all of that is about to be ripped to shreds.

Emma's boyfriend is caught off guard when an ice cold blade presses firmly against his throat. Neal watches as August's eyes triple in size at the sudden intrusion. Neal remains calm despite the sheer horror tingling throughout his body. He doesn't budge one muscle knowing the damage that could be inflicted as a body presses against his back.

"Come with us," a low voice whispers into his ear before Neal and August are both dragged away.

~~~~~~~~~

"Regina, please tell me you're okay," Emma whispers as her eyes fill with worrisome tears.

She kneels down in front of the brunette's lap and hopelessly tries to keep her tears at bay. With shaky hands Emma quickly removes Regina's blindfold and tosses the black fabric to the ground. Emma shudders violently as panic quakes through her limbs when she realizes Regina in unresponsive.

Regina's eyes are sealed shut, closing off the cruel world that lays just on the other side of her eyelids. Her head is hanging low as Emma's hysterically searching for any signs of physical harm.

"Regina, please wake up," Emma coos as she focuses on untying the thick ropes holding her lover hostage. "I need you to wake up," Emma mutters as a tear finally breaks through her dam and trickles down her cheek. She watches as the liquid escapes her face and lands upon Regina's knee, staining the denim below. "Regina, it's Emma," she whispers as her fingers fight against a knot she can't seem to defeat in her flustered state.