Chapter Four

Boston: Twenty One years ago....

"We may have a potential family lined up for Regina," Miss Charlotte explains to Katie as they sit at the dining room table and discuss the foster children.

"That would be lovely, but what about Emma?" The redhead questions in concern for the little girl who has been in her care far too long now.

Miss Charlotte clears her throat and ever so slightly shakes her head. They are both well aware of the horrible track record the poor child has endured and neither one truly knows how to navigate through the unexplainable series of misfortunate events.

Miss Charlotte busies herself with reorganizing her files, regardless of the fact that she just rearranged everything in front of her. She pushes Tonya, Trevor and Charlie's folders to the side and focuses on the two remaining. Miss Charlotte peeks inside Emma's once more, but quickly snaps the file closed and redirects her attention to Regina's.

"How has Regina's progress been since her arrival?" The older woman questions as she grips her pen and prepares herself to record every specific detail, indefinitely ignoring the interrogation about Emma.

"Horrible. Both girls refuse to speak to anyone besides each other," Katie admits in defeat.

This is the first time ever she has not been able to open up a foster child and make them feel comfortable. Emma has been in Katie's care twice now. She understands the little girl's heartache and pain, she just wishes there was something she could do or say to help. In some sense she's relieved Regina came, because at least Emma is finally speaking to someone.

"Do they know of their past?" Miss Charlotte questions as her hand glides across the page, never once making eye contact with the other woman.

Miss Katie is already shaking her head in sorrow. "I've tried asking them if they have talked about it, but neither one responds. They both shake their heads and walk away. Two peas in a pod."

"Stubborn," Miss Charlotte confirms dismissively because truthfully she doesn't care for children. How this ended up her career she hasn't a clue.

The women's conversation is suddenly interrupted when Emma is scurrying by with Regina following closely behind. Katie notices a candy bar in Emma's hand, that she knows she doesn't keep in her home, but decides not to comment on the matter because something more important needs to be addressed.

"Emma, Regina," Katie's kind voice ceases the two little girl's footsteps. Emma shoves her candy bar into her back pocket and meets Katie's gaze with a stoic expression. "Girls can you two have a seat please. Miss Charlotte and I would like to speak to you."

Regina's big eyes double in size as she turns her attention to her new friend. She's fairly confident that at any moment her heart will beat right out of her chest from the fear of being caught. When she catches a glimpse of her partner in crime, she's as cool as a cucumber.

Emma slides into the seat across from Katie and folds her arms upon the wooden table. Regina follows suit and climbs into the chair next to her friend. She fiddles with her fingers below the table so nobody can detect how nervous she may be.

"Regina, lets begin with you," Katie softly speaks to the raven haired child, hoping she doesn't spook her. Regina doesn't bother meeting Katie's eyes, she cannot stand that this woman rejected her. "Sweetie, did your parents ever explain where you came from?"

Regina stiffens the slightest bit, but to the naked eye most would have missed the movement, except for one. Emma tilts her head toward her friend and rests her cheek upon her folded arms. She offers a small smile to Regina to help her relax, but Emma wouldn't dare show that smile to anyone else.