Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It is Friday night, we won 23 to 17. Officially one week until the homecoming game. I was pumped up the whole bus ride home. I was doing a lot better than I was the other day. I pushed that day to the very back of my mind, like I do with a lot of memories I don't like.

"There's a party at Jake's, you in?" Zach shouts over the loud chatter.

"This town has a lot of parties."

"You have no idea." He laughs. "You coming?"

"No thanks, I want to go to sleep."

"Understandable you played hard today."

I was still cautious around Zach. I was trying to put a little distance so that I wouldn't get hurt again.

Mom took me home. Dean got a new job as a security guard. He now works from six pm to midnight. He was helping mom with the bills. She didn't want to take the money so he slipped it by her. Yes, we have dad's money but we agreed that dad's money was for emergences only.

Once I got home I passed out on top of my bed. I woke up to my window opening. My heart fluttered. I stood up and meet him as he slipped in.

"Good game tonight." He held my body close to his. I forced me smile. I played bad, my head wasn't there. The team won but Zach had picked up where I slacked off.

"Yeah."

I looked to his lips, I just wanted to kiss him and make all the bad go away. He saw my eyes at his mouth and lead his to mine. I felt my chest tighten. We laid on my bed. I broke the kiss and placed my head on his chest.

"Can I tell you something?" I asked.

"Anything, I'm here for you."

"I like you."

"Dylan."

I instantly regretted what I said. "Never mind." I stood from the bed.

"I'm sorry I just-" He grabbed my arms. "You are my best friend's little sister."

I felt sick. "then why would you kiss me?"

"because... I- I got carried away. I was only supposed to watch over you and protect you."

"I don't need protection." I bit back.

"you were kidnapped, your dad died and the reporters nearly drove you to suicide because of all the questions, you almost died! Dean wanted to make sure he never would ever lose you again."

"Wait, Dean but you up to this?" I was hurt, very hurt.

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "Yes, I'm not an English major who wants to be a teacher. I'm actually a psychology major."

"So, you are studying how nutty I am and then lying to me about it?" I cross my arms. "am I just a favor to my brother and a essay for your teachers?"

"you more than that."

"are you even Dean's friend or was that made up?"

"I was never friend's with your brother."

"then why did you do it?" he didn't say anything. "does he pay you?" when he doesn't respond my heart drops. He wasn't trying to help mom with the bills when he took that job, he was paying someone to be my friend.

A tear falls from my eye. "I'm so sorry, Dylan."

"Get out." I cry.

"Dylan."