Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Captains." The referee says. The other team's captains, Zach, and I walk to the center of the field. All helmet come off.

"What? You're a girl." One of the other team's captains states.

"I'm aware." I say.

"You can't play, I wont play against a girl."

"And why not? You scared?" Zach says in a baby voice.

"Quit your bickering." The referee says. Then he turns to Zach and me. "Head or tails?" Zach and I look at each other.

"Heads." We say at the same time. Then the ref throws the coin in the air.

"Heads."

"We choose to receive."

The other team kick the ball. It hand perfectly in one of our player hands. Our player is tackled at the thirty yard line. I run out on the field we get into position. I do small hand signals that no one could see unless they knew what to look for. We all nod to each other.

"Hike!" I yell. The center snaps the ball. I catch it with ease. I look for one of our receivers to be open but I am hit hard. The wind in nocked from my lungs and I lay on the ground.  The medic team rushes to me.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." I say. They help me up.

"You have to set on the bench till the next play." One of the medics says. As I walk to the sidelines Zach calls a timeout. Zack grabs the left tackles face mask.

"I don't ever want to see you let your man get past you!" Zach yells.

"It was an accident." The left tackle says.

"Accident my ass." Zach's teeth are clinched hard. "If you ever let your man get through on purpose I will personally kick your ass." He says through clinched teeth. "Got it?"

"Got it." Then him and Zack run onto the field. Zach throws to Richie and a touchdown was made. that was very fast. 

The other team didn't score a touchdown and now it is offence's turn to go out onto the field.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Zach grabs my arm as I head to the field.

"Yes." I push past him onto the field.

"Hike!" I yell. The center snaps the ball. I catch it and look for a receiver. Then I see that Richie is open again but he is three-quarters down the field. I know I can make the pass. I throw the ball and hold my breath. Richie catches it and I breathe again. He runs as if he was lightning. He dodges everyone who attempts to tackle him. He weaves through groups. Then he runs into the touchdown. I look at the crowd, they stare at me with their jaws dropped. I think I just proved them wrong.

"That was amazing!" Zach says when I get back to the sidelines. "I have never in my life seen something like that!" 

"Dylan!" Caleb slaps my back. "I didn't know you could do that!"

"Dylan," I turn around to see Trever. "I'm really sorry about what I did to you."

"looks like they let you go." I was cold.

~****~

Our team wins 28 to 7. We were all headed back to the bus. There was a strong happy buzz that was in the air.

"Hey! Number five!" I turn around as my number is called. A player from the other team comes running. My team stops where they are to watch what was about to happen.

"My name is Dylan."

"I just want you to know you got our respect. Sorry our caption was rude."

"thanks man." I feel my team relax as this guy turns out not to be an ass hat.

After I get off the team bus back to school I walk to the girl's locker room. I change into shorts and a tee shirt. When I come out is see my mom, Dean, Gavin, and Tony. When Dean sees me he opens his arms wide and I run to him. I jump on him and he swings me around.

"That was an amazing pass!" he says.

"Which one?" I ask.

"All of them." Tony says before Dean can answer.

"Dylan!" someone on the team says. "There is going to be a party later, you coming?"

"No thanks." I say. "I don't do parties."

"Okay then." He says and walks away.

"Dylan, I have two gallons of ice cream, popcorn, and six hours of horror movies, you in?" Dean asks.

"Hell yeah I'm in." I say. I horror movies aren't my thing but I got to asked badass in front of everyone.

As we walk to Mom's car I see Zach.

"I'll be right back." I say. "Zach!" I call out his name. He turns around. "You want to come over? We have popcorn, ice cream, and horror movies."

"Sounds like fun."

"Dean!" I yell from all the way across the parking lot.

"What?" he yells back.

"I'm getting a ride from Zach!"

"Okay!" he says. I get into Zach's truck and he drives to my house.

I gently rub my bruised arm.

"You okay?"

"That bruise." I answer.

"You know you got to be more careful when you ram into metal doors." I narrow my eyes at him.

📕📗📘📙

Authors Note:

I had the craziest dream and now I might turn it into a book. Idk yet but y'all it was crazy. I was telling someone about it and they were like you should turn that into a book. And I was like I know!!