Yet another letter

Year 3rd of reign of  Dhruvdhar Rao

Sire, I just received a news about Islam Shah marching towards Rajputana. I really wished I could get more information, but to my utmost lack of luck, I can't reach my scouts just yet. And I fear that I must start my army march before Islam Shah does, because unfortunately tge distance from Bijapur to Mewar is closer than Bundelkhand. I wish you all the best luck, and hope this frightful was ends with you being victorious.

Your most reliable ally,

Dhruvdhar Rao.

Uday sighed after reading the letter. It was evening and it seemed that the envoy had rummaged across the route from Bundelkhand. He gave him the letter panting, not so discreetly. The news had spread like wildfire, that was for sure. He prayed to ekling this news didn't linger long in public.

Manikarnika wanted a rather peculiar permission from him. She wanted to train the women of the household. Useful it definitely was, but he wqs quite not sure if that would be taken in a good eye. He still remembered the day when he had sent her to the training faculty.

'I believe that sending the princess out of the fort would be an understatement to her security, your Majesty.'

Ramachandra, one of the former courtiers who had shown outright displeasure at Manikarnika's birth, spoke. Rawat snickered hearing his words.
'From when did you started to bother about out princess's security, pray tell?'

'I just wanted to say what I felt, Rawat. Obviously you wouldn't get it.'

He gave him his darkest and dirtiest glare. Both of them didn't have a good rapport and they opposed each other almost at every occasion. It was no difference.

'Enough it is. This is my court not your combat arena. If you have spoken do I have the permission to speak?'

Utter silence took over the court, everyone's glance still and stout on the floor.

'Good enough. I have spoken thus, that my princess would be sent to the training academy, for training along with soldiers under inspection of the best teachers and warriors. I cannot afford to wait for my son to get adult and then fight. I need a leader by my side, and it is my decision that she would stand beside me. Is there any objection?'

He quite couldn't remember whose voice that was, but it perforated his heart like a spear.

'But a woman and sword, does that suit, you think, sire? Do you think that a woman can be leading us?'

His heart ached. His people could never accept Manikarnika by their heart. They thought from the very beginning that she was a bad omen, who brought defeat along with her. Despite trying umpteenth time, she couldn't impress the slithering council members. They wouldn't be impressed with the stunt, he was sure. But more than that he believed that his daughter was stronger than that.

'Dajiraaj, I saw a convoy outside. Is there something of serious matter?'

Manikarnika walked into the room unannounced and startled the King. He smiled weakly and said,

'Worry not child. The emperor of Bundelkhand sent some messege regarding the treaty.'

'Are you quite sure he's not changing his mind from the 'help for help' philosophy?'

She asked sceptically, and quite ruefully to the matter. The King chuckled and assured.

'Nothing that you need to be worried about, no. I will see to the matter that this day doesn't arise.'

'Why the convoy came then, pray tell?'

She sat on the soft bed of her father, more lavish than any other in the whole palace. She surmised that the Bundela emperor had got the news of Islam Shah marching towards Mewar, just like they had.