4

"Of course. Of course, how could I have been so stupid?" The Doctor smacked his forehead with the palm of his hand in punishment and began to pace, agitated, across the room.

"Y'know, an explanation would be nice. Doctor, what's going on?" Dean got up from the table and strode over to him, abruptly clapping both hands to his shoulders to cease his movements. "And stop doing that, you're making me nervous." The Doctor took in a deep breath.

"Those statues, they're not cursed, they're alive. They-" His explanation didn't get very far. In a split second, his words were cut off as all the lights in the building did the same, a loud hum accompanying the dying electricity. The group raised their heads in alarm, even The Doctor understanding the situation. A moment later, the once inviting bunker was filled with an illuminating, almost angry shade of red, slowly blinking on and off.

"You're kidding." Sam bit his lip as he shared a glance with Dean and Castiel, a look which The Doctor caught. It was one of nervousness and trepidation.

"What's happening?" The Doctor asked slowly, though he already knew the answer. Maybe he was asking in an attempt to slow down the events that were happening and those to come; a childlike sense of playing dumb in order to stall the inevitable. Dean ran both hands through his hair.

"Bunker's gone into lockdown. No one gets in or out of this place unless we override it manually."

"The controls of which are outside the bunker," Sam groaned. Castiel stood next to them, staring at the floor in intense concentration. His face was troubled, almost pained.

"Cas?" Sam put a hand on his shoulder, startling him. He looked up, something close to fear showing on his normally blank features.

"I-I can't use my powers to get out of here. Something's wrong."

"Automatic warding caused by the lockdown?" Dean offered.

"Maybe," said Sam.

"Or maybe it's them." The Doctor murmured ominously. He wordlessly took a few hasty steps backward and thrust open the door of the TARDIS, closing the door behind him. Seconds later, the now familiar breathing of the police box returned, but it sounded...wrong. It sounded laboured and harsh, as if it was tired, or sick.

"No, no, no, no!" The Doctor's desperate muffled shout was heard from behind the closed doors of the TARDIS.

"That's it," Dean strode up to the police box with new resolve. He pounded a closed fist on its wooden doors, the sound echoing about the bunker. "Doctor! You tell us what the hell is going on or I swear I will drag your ass out of there!" Silence. Dean raised his fist to repeat himself, but the door creaked open before he could continue, revealing The Doctor's face, considerably paler than before.

"Doctor, what-?"

"Do you have anywhere in this place that can keep things out?" Dean almost scoffed in reply.

"This whole place is built to keep things out, what are you talking-" Sam coughed knowingly, attracting his brother's attention and giving him a serious look. Judging by The Doctor's dramatic change in temperament, Sam was willing to act first and ask questions later.

"Basement," he jerked his head behind him. The Doctor strode up to the group.

"We need to go there. Now." Dean looked up at him slightly, his eyebrows furrowed worriedly. Sam was the first to spring into motion.

"This way," he called as he strode further into the bunker. He was quickly followed by Dean and Castiel, close on his heels. The Doctor hurried after them, but not before turning to look behind him at the empty room and trying, but to no avail to extinguish the chill running down his spine, feeling as though they were already being watched.