12 | ғσσℓ ιи ℓσνє

Start from the beginning

"To Lake Grenwald," Scar continued as a huge grin that looked like it wasn't going to go away anytime soon came into his face. He was practically radiating with energy about the idea of a family trip, and it was oddly adorable to see him so excited. "We'll have a cabin to ourselves, access to the lake and the boardwalk, and most importantly, we'll have fun. It's gonna be our spring break trip."

Kahori perked her head up from the book that she was reading, and she pouted. "That sounds expensive."

"Yeah," Jamie agreed in a heartbeat. "Sounds very expensive—thank you, Kay." He fully expected her to back him up on the insane cost of the trip, but she followed up with a: "I love expensive!" that made Jamie's shoulders fall in defeat.

"Sweet, can I come?" Bobby asked. It was first time that he spoke since we sat at the dinner table, and even though I had heard his voice a million times before, my skin prickled with anxiety at the sound of it. The only thing I could think about was the way his voice sounded when he was moaning my name—so rough and deep.

Shaking my head to clear my mind of my sexual thoughts, I prepared myself to hear whatever excuse my parents could come up with regarding why Bobby wouldn't be able to come with us, but I was utterly surprised when Scar nodded with a smile. "Yeah, actually, I got the idea from your parents. They said that we should all take a trip together. To relax and bond."

Bryan stuffed his entire fork of pasta into his mouth and didn't have any remorse about speaking with his mouth still full with it. "Don't they hate us?" His question was directed at Bobby, who gave him an non-committed shrug in response.

My lips downturned into a frown as I pondered the thought of Bobby's parents actually wanting to get to spend time with us. They were always so stuck-up in their ways, thinking they were better than us. Even if they were, it was strange for them to want to keep their distance from a family that meant a lot to their son.

"Which is exactly why this is bad idea," Jamie added, but that only made Scar roll his eyes. "Seriously, Patterson. They didn't like us back then, and they can't just change their minds overnight."

Scar pointed his fork at Jamie. "The wheels are already in motion."

Jamie narrowed his gaze, skeptical. "What? What does that even mean?"

"It means that the cards are in play."

"Scar—"

"I've already taken the plunge."

"Why are you speaking in idioms, Dad?" Kahori joined the ridiculous playful exchange, while I switched my attention to Bobby who was absentmindedly pushing a piece of chicken across his plate with his fork.

"You okay?" I found myself asking. What I really meant to ask was if we were okay, but I didn't want to be too forward.

"Yeah." Bobby dropped his fork and turned to me, a gleam in his brown eyes. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I just—" I took a deep breath in an attempt to slow the increased beating of my heart, "—look, um, we can just forget about what happened."

"I already did," he laughed.

Well, that stung. "Wow, um, alright. Cool."