Ch. 11- Live Like Vampires

"Alone we live short rebellions of death, together we defy it."

**

When she looks at me, I forget how to breathe. Those oval shaped honey-colored eyes like a cats make me want to get lost in them. I could spend hours staring at them if she allowed me to. She is trying to read me, study me like a piece of artwork, wondering what I'm thinking. But doesn't she know? I'm thinking about her.

They tell me that the start of a vampires death is when we fall in love. When our heart starts beating again, many are too terrified to live with it. It's a slow death they say, but I wanted nothing more than to live.

She woke me up. The second she bumped into me, I felt my whole body wake up from a deep sleep. And every single second with her, I am awake. Alert. I feel free and full of life, which I never felt before.

I fell in love with her not because of what she looks like, no, but the way she talks and how strong she is. I could tell that she hates being vulnerable, something that I found quite interesting. Like she did not want to be hurt again. But I would kill myself if I would hurt her. I loved the way she talks about books and poetry and everything that gives her joy, which makes me happy. It was intoxicating to say the least. She is like the most beautiful poison I had ever taken.

I wanted her to live like us vampires do. After all this mess, even though it's still ongoing, I wanted us to get out of our heads for a minute. No drama, no sadness, just us. Both of us deserve it.

She was looking out of the window with her knees pulled up against her and hands wrapped around them. Small and delicate pale hands of hers. Ones that fit into mine so perfectly, like both of us were two puzzle pieces.

I turned back to the road in front of me, trying to focus on my driving. I was going way too fast for my own good. And she noticed. Since I'm a King, they would never let me drive a car. Not even once. I had to learn to drive against my late mother's wishes. She said that I had a habit of wanting to do things that humans do, and I believe that's true.

I pressed on the brake, slowing down once I saw the stop sign. I knew where I was going when I first got into the car, but I wasn't about to tell her just yet. It had to be a surprise.

After a few seconds, I left my foot off of the brake, going faster than the speed limit. "Do you normally go this fast?" Elora asked, her voice soft yet defiant. God, I love her.

I darted my eyes toward her. "Only when I'm allowed to drive," I replied, my hands gripping the steering wheel. I turned my head again and I felt Elora try not to laugh.

Sometimes I wonder why I deserve her. I mean what did I do? It must have been some kind of miracle for me to meet her. Like fate was on my side that night. But I royally screwed it up and yet it gave me another chance. She gave me another chance.

I always thought that I was made to be unloved. Even though I was a Prince, now a King, and girls worshipped me, they would always end up hurting me one way or another. Like Segovia.

I mean, all my life I was taught that I had to show others the monster in me. They never saw the real me. I never got the chance to be soft. I was always bloody knuckles and shards of glass. But that all changed when I met Elora. Even when she wasn't vulnerable, she taught me that it's okay to feel. 

I turned left as both of us were silent. It was not awkward but sweet. We didnt need to talk to enjoy each other's company. We were now in town, the French Quarter to be exact, and a flood of memories came back.

It was 1862 and America's Civil War was going on, which I fought for the Union then. It was a few years after the whole Segovia scandal and I wanted to get out of my head. I am immortal after all and I couldn't die. My mother and my father, who was alive at the time, didn't want me to go. It could expose us they said, but I didn't listen. I wanted more than anything to feel something and I thought getting shot at was the best way to do it.