Chapter 1 - Where it Started

All rights reserved to J.K. Rowling, this is just a fan fiction, a twist to the original Harry Potter series. I don't own anything but the character and things I make up, so yeah ... Enjoy :)

I'm slowly starting to edit this book and rewrite the story. The plot will stay the same but the storytelling will be better. 

***********************************************************************************************

Nothing good can ever come out of the dark. 

Darkness produces eerie, fear and mystery. Concepts that cannot be fathomable, especially for a child less than 3 years old. 

It was at that age which little Vanessa Jessamine Potter was preparing to go to sleep. After an eventful Halloween with her godfather, Sirius, little Vannie was exhausted. 

Sirius could see her trying to fight her much needed sleep, as he read her a nighttime story. He wished his little goddaughter would hurry up and fall asleep so that he can go on his nighttime adventures. As the time got later and later, a foreign sense of anxiety kept escalating in Sirius's chest. He has never felt so unnerved in his life and he needed his beloved Vanessa to fall asleep so that he can explore what is the cause of his distress. So as he read the nighttime story, he read it was an underlying urgency that did not go undetected by the 3-year-old. 

 A story about an orphaned princess being lost and then finally found by her bashing prince charming had always been Vannie's favourite. She always insisted that Sirius read it to her every night. Her mother always used to read that story to her when she was living in her parents household, and when Sirius read that story Vannie felt like she was back at home surrounded by her parents loving arms. Surprisingly that was not the reason for her great liking to that story. She loved it so much because in some ways the little 3 years old could relate. She felt abandoned by her parents, what did she do so wrong to make them send her away to live with her godfather. She was too young to understand that it was for her own safety, she was too young to understand anything. 

Sirius often told her much her parents deeply loved her. He told her the meaning behind her unique middle name. Lily choose her middle name as Jessamine to pay homage to her late grandparents. Lily's parents named both Lily and her sister after flowers and James' mother's signature scent was jasmine. After having to birth little Vanessa, Lily became infatuated with her little flower and thought Jessamine was the perfect middle name for her first born. As the little flower started to blossom her sweet name stayed true to her nature. Vanessa was a little sweet flower who has oblivious to the world around her, too caught up in her fairytales and the land of make-believe. 

As her favourite story came to an end, Vanessa fell asleep. Sirius placed her into her bed and surrounded her my a fortress of pillows. As a finishing touch, he placed her favourite teddy bear so that it overlooked his goddaughter, guarding her for any harm. With a final look at little Vannie, Sirius kissed her forehead and apparated into the night.

That night darkness struck again, and little Vanessa's favourite story became her reality.