He pulls me into a hug, and for the first time in two days, I don't cry.

"HOW ARE YOU holding up, kid?"  Derek asks on the phone

"HOW ARE YOU holding up, kid?" Derek asks on the phone.

"Okay. Are you still coming over?" I ask hopefully. There's a pause before Derek answers, his voice strained.

"Of course. I promised you."

I smile and we talk for a few more minutes about school. I was not focusing as much as I could have, but the teachers understood the situation. The question was how long they would be this lenient with me. I shrug the thought away and say my goodbyes to Derek. I finish some homework, there was not one day that we did not get homework and it was tiring.

"Diego, would you come to my study, please." I check the clock and see that three hours had passed since I had spoken to Derek.

He should have been here by now.

I walk to my father's study across the hall and find him sitting at his desk, his glasses perched on his nose. He glances at me over the top of his glasses and he takes them off and puts them to the side. His hands were clasped together and he had a stern facial expression. It was not quite the way he had broken my mother's death to me, which could either mean it was much worse or much better. He gestures for me to take a seat.

"As you well know, your mother's death has taken a toll on every person in this family. On the two of us and your mother's family. We, Hernandez men, will continue to live our life because that is exactly what your mother wants and we will always respect her wishes. We will stay strong knowing that she is watching over us. However, your mother's family does not possess the same resolve."

My fingers flew up to my ears and blocked them. My father clenched his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose. He seemed to be in pain because I was. He gets up and when he gets to my side, he pulls up to stand next to him. He embraces me and my arms wrap around him as I bury my face in his chest.

"Dad, please," I cry, begging him to tell me that all of that was a lie.

"They're gone, Diego."

When I lost my mother, I didn't think there was a worse agony, that all of the possible suffering I could ever feel in my life had already been felt. I was wrong. I was so bloody naive to think that I would be able to resume my life without her because I would have my mother's family, the closest thing I would ever to her.

"He wouldn't. He promised me!" I yell through tears.

"Some promises are made to be broken."

I thought back to my conversation with Derek a few hours ago. He was a heartless bastard if he could talk to me, hear my hope and still leave me. He knew that I was counting on him and he knew that he had promised me to stay.