Two Brothers

Three weeks later....

  I had gotten into another fight with my parents that night. One of the many that we've had since I got back. And they all had to do with the same thing; the rules at the house. I had become so used to going out whenever I wanted when I was at the cabin, and doing whatever I wanted, like drinking and smoking. My parents didn't say much about me smoking, but they sure as hell had an opinion about me drinking. They said I was too young, which I only laughed at that remark. Yeah, I had been too young for a lot of things, but hey, they still happened.

I remember one night a few days ago, I wanted to go out with Holly later that night, around 10pm. However, right as she honked out my window for me, and I was just about to leave, my parents caught me as they were up in the living room that night.

"Where are you going?" My mother asked as she placed her book down in her lap, as my father—who now only seemed to look at me when I was in trouble—put the newspaper down as he too looked my way, as they both assembled a stern look.

"Out." That was all I said before I then slipped my shoes on, and my parents then both stood up from their seats.

"Do you know what time it is? You are not going out Eric," my mom had said first as her face had grown more angry, but at the same time worried. But I just ignored it.

"Why not? Whose business is it anyways if I go out or not?" I began to get agitative and frustrated as I placed one hand in my pocket that contained my smokes, however I didn't pull them out yet. I only stood there looking at my mom and dad both, as my eyes were beginning to bulge out in anger, as I looked from one parent to the other.

"It's ours, alright! We are your parents and we have rules around here! You are not going out this late!" My father jumped right in and yelled as well, as I narrowed my eyes at both of them with disbelief.

"What are you guys so afraid that's going to happen to me out there?! You think the same things going to happen to me again?! I'm not that seven year old boy anymore, I can take care of myself! I did it for eight years! And I can assure you, nothing can possibly be as bad than what's already happened to me!" I shouted at them as they sort of shut up for a minute or two, as their gaze fell back down, and then back up to me.

"We know that, Eric. But there are rules in this house, and since you are back now, you have to follow those rules," my mom spoke more in a soft tone, and not the harsh one she bore moments ago, along with my father. And right as she said that, I let out a slight laugh, as I directed my attention back to them.

"Yeah? Well I didn't choose to come back here! I didn't even want to tell the cops who I was in the first place! I was forced to!" And with that last note, I walked straight out the front door towards Holly's car, as I let the screen door slam behind me.

I didn't mean the things I had said. I was only pissed at them. I was angry. I hated that ever since I returned, they kept only treating me as if I was that same seven year old boy again. And I most certainly was not. That boy, I felt I no longer was connected to. Like that was never me. It was awful. The re-adjusting period at home. It was as if one minute, I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted in that gross and disturbing cabin, and then the next I was back at home, with my parents that seemed to huddle over me somewhat, and the rules that had been laid down.

It felt as if I was suddenly picked from that cabin, and dropped back into my old life instantly, and I had to go back to all the set rules in place, the ones Martins never had. The ones I never followed for eight years. I wasn't used to all the rules. I didn't like them, but hell, it was better than being in that cabin, with that man that had hurt me over and over again.