Chapter XXV - End of the Beginning

I was in a room I did not recognise. Everything was clinical white and had a slight stench of disinfectant. There was a couch, a coffee table and a large mirror that took up the entire wall opposite me. I knew I was in a hospital, but it felt more like an interrogation room.

When I awoke in a hospital bed that morning, my memory was fuzzy and I felt disorientated. For the life of me, I couldn't remember how I got there ... where I was ... or even why I was there. I asked the doctors and nurses but they weren't able to explain either. Instead, they fed me, dressed me in clothes that weren't mine then put me in this room.

I waited five minutes, pacing back and forth until the door opened again and a man I did not know walked in. He was perhaps in his fifties, tall and wore an Army uniform.

"Miss Tabitha McKinley," he said, "it's a pleasure to meet you." He held out his hand and I shook it. His lips were smiling but his eyes were not. He motioned to the couch.

"Please, take a seat," he said. I didn't want to take a seat. I wanted answers. Nonetheless, I sat down.

"Where I am? Where are my parents?" I asked. The man smiled again.

"You don't recognise me, do you?" he asked. I shook my head, confused. Was I supposed to know him? He patted the back of my hand sympathetically and I recoiled from his touch. "I'm Major Volkov, the Mayor of Primus, the Capital city of Terranovus."

"Terranovus?" I asked. He cocked his head and looked at me curiously.

"What do you last remember?" I went to open my mouth to answer but stopped when I realised I didn't know. I woke up this morning in hospital, but yesterday? Why was everything a blur?

"Yesterday," I started and I strained my memory, "was the Army's Annual Ball." I examined Volkov's face and tried to decipher his expression.

"Tabitha, the Annual Ball took place several months ago."

"What?" I asked. Was this a joke?

"A few days ago you were involved in an accident with a driverless vehicle. The vehicle glitched and didn't stop when you crossed the road. It hit you, and when you fell you hit your head on the pavement. The doctors have diagnosed you with amnesia." My head started to spin and I felt a headache coming on. Diagnosed with amnesia? But I haven't even spoken with a doctor yet. How could I have been diagnosed?

"Where're my parents?" I asked.

"Unfortunately they left Primus a few days ago on a business trip and won't be back for another fortnight."

"Primus?" I asked.

"Er, yes," said Volkov, and he hesitated, "that is where you are now. In Terranovus. You see, after the ball, the lottery chose your family. Your parents and yourself moved here a month ago." A stared dumbstruck at the man.

"We're in Terranovus?" I asked incredulously. The Major nodded and I started to realised I didn't trust him one bit. My mum always told me to not trust strangers.

"I want to speak with my parents," I said.

"Unfortunately they don't have any signal. They're uncontactable."

"Where are they exactly?" I demanded.

"In Ziller," the man said calmly, "in the second city of Terranovus. Their communication towers are still under construction." I shook my head frustrated.

"Then let me join them. I want to be with them," I argued. My growing headache was now a migraine and I felt it pounding on all sides of my head.

"Unfortunately we can't do that. The doctors have ordered you to rest." My heart dropped further into my stomach. This couldn't be happening.