Chapter XII - Utopia vs Dystopia

"Hey dad?" I asked over breakfast the next morning.

"Yeah?"

"After school, can I please visit you at your work?"

Mum and dad slowly placed their toast down on their plates and glanced at each other. I took a deep breath and continued, "it's just that, I really enjoyed spending time with you after school Mum, but I feel as though what I need right now is just a good distraction. I can't stop thinking about my friends back at home..."

"Of course sweetheart," immediately said dad. "I'll speak to my boss first thing and ask for permission. I'm sure it will be okay. Our neighbours, Mr and Mrs Sook, their son visits his father all the time I heard." I looked up at that.

"Their son?" I asked.

"Yeah, oh, what's his name? Hun or something."

"Hyun?"

"Yes. That's it, did you meet him on the school bus yesterday?" asked dad.

"Sort of," I replied. I gulped down another spoonful of cereal and looked at the time, "I better start getting dressed." I dumped my bowl into the dishwasher and exited the room. I was halfway down the corridor to my bedroom when I heard my mum turn to my dad.

"But Paul, it's just your second day, will your boss be okay with that?"

"It'll be fine. I don't have any work to do yet, I'm still doing my induction. It's Tilly I'm more worried about."

I rolled my eyes and shut my bedroom door. Trust mum to forever worry. I picked up my school uniform I dumped on the floor yesterday afternoon and stared at it with hatred. Day two and I still detested skirts.

As I dressed, I thought back over the plan I formed last night. I was definitely not going to hear any Army gossip at school so my safest bet was at dad's work. Hopefully there I'll be able to overhear bits and bobs. Anything to stop the resistance from hurting Tommy.

Once dressed I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and grimaced. I looked like a zombie, a weird zombie with an arm still in a sling. My hair was a mess and my eyes were sunken and dark.

"Iris, how much time do I have until the bus arrives?" I asked the room.

"One minute and fifteen seconds," she replied instantly. I groaned, messy bun hair day it was.

***

Exactly one minute and fifteen seconds later I clambered onto the school bus and sat next to an ecstatic Maria. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

"Ready for day two?" squealed Maria. This was another reason why I preferred boys; Tommy, Simon and Jack weren't morning people too.

"Sure," I said and watched as Hyun ran out of his house, through his front gate and jumped onto the bus breathless.

"Does he do that every morning?" I asked as he flopped himself down on the front row seat.

"Pretty much," shrugged Maria then immediately pelted into a fast and excitable talk about her Chemistry assignment.

***

My first class of the day, mathematics, passed by uneventful and quickly, which I was glad for as my next class was the one I was most looking forward to - graphic communications.

I fortunately found the class quickly and as I walked through the doorway I realised none of my peers had arrived yet. Mr Alderton, the graphic communications teacher who was an old but able man, greeted me.