A Little Taste

Ten, he said ten. Okay. I continue to walk through the darkness, the small branches of the trees hitting me in the face.

It was known widely to everyone that he lived in the woods, in the dark to keep away from everyone. Isolated and all alone.

Last year when I moved to this small town was the first time I saw him. There was a beautiful little house by a lake, some waves rippling as I walk to what I thought was an abandoned house. Then I saw him, his eyes a yellow with brown specks shining luminously through a window, his lanky arms bent a bit. I backed away nervously.

I still didn't know anyone in the town at the moment along with the blood-curdling rumors about him, Marshal Schafer.

I walk down the path my feet crunching the leaves under me while a cool breeze blew through my hair. I take a deep breath seeing it fog up around my face. I see the house with the corner of my eye knowing I was close, the air seemed to thicken as I breathe in air.

I blink my eyes shaking my head feeling a slight sting by my eye and my cheek pushing away the branch. I squirm getting uncomfortable with the silence, no sounds but my breathing and the leaves.

How would I know where he would be? Maybe he's in that house again.

I jump hearing someone clear their throat in front of me, I look up from the ground.

Oh, it's really him. Wow. The moonlight shone down perfectly on him. He stood at about a good foot above me his yellow eyes staring at me making me feel conscious.

His white button-up shirt clung to his thin body, the sleeves rolled up to his forearms. His long thin arms falling to his sides resting on his long legs that reminded me of two long sticks. My eyes look at the black tie hanging around his neck then back at his face.

" You're bleeding."

His voice is low but soothing sending chills down my spine. He raises his hand to me, my heart rate quickening.

I close my eyes feeling the ends of his bony fingers brush my cheek, his sharp nails stroking my jaw.

" See?"

I open my eyes staring at his pointer and middle finger where his nails held a dark red substance. I lick my lips, " I must have scratched it while coming in through here."

My eyes closely watch him lift his fingers to his lips sucking them slowly keeping eye contact with me. My lips part slightly as he slides them out, " Mmm."

" I, ah-"

He licks his lips smiling at me, " Shh, Miss. Danielle."

I keep my mouth close, my chest rising up and down at a dangerous pace seeing him lean closer to my face.

" How can you like such a monster?" he whispers hotly in my ear making the hairs on the back of my neck rise.

" I just-," I gulp staring into his dark eyes, " I just do."

I see a smirk form on his lips feeling his fingers touch my cheek again licking the red substance. I should be totally disgusted by this, but I find it to be incredibly stimulating.

Maybe I'm not normal.

" Tsk tsk, Danielle."

I look at him with confusion, my bottom lip  trembling as he raises my chin up to him, " You're not supposed to be so willing on the first date," he says lowly making me shudder.

" Date? Willing?"

He laughs softly leaning to my face, " You smell very nice, Miss. Danielle."

My hands began to sweat profusely his scent; that I couldn't put a name on filled my nose, captivating me, pulling me closer to him.