9. Recruitment

Nico

"Are we almost there? We've been walking for Gods know how long." I growled as I followed the hulking form of Atlas up a giant slope. The titan of strength and endurance sighed in exasperation and turned to face me. 

"Son of Hades, I'm honestly surprised I haven't knocked you down this slope yet. We're nearly there, I told you it would take a while." Atlas grunted before he continued to climb the slope.

I stuck my tongue out at him before trailing the titan. We reached the top of the slope and I took another step forwards but Atlas held his arm out, stopping me in my tracks. 

I opened my mouth but Atlas hissed "Shut up. We have a problem." I looked at where he was pointing at and my blood ran cold. A dozen people dressed in tattered clothes stood around a large field of holes dug into the ground. 

"What-" "Mortals." Atlas said, answering my unasked question. "Mortals Perseus Jackson turned into slaves. He must've ordered them to go into Tartarus and watch over the place where the Olympian Gods are most likely reforming." 

"So basically Percy sent them to their deaths." I eyed a small girl no older than 12 carrying a small dagger. Her eyes were hollow and her expression was emotionless. 

I felt fury rise up inside of me. These mortals were going to die, yet there was nothing I can do about it. Atlas noticed my furious expression and he scowled. "Don't do anything rash. We have no other choice but to go down there." 

"We're going to have to kill them, aren't we?" I asked plainly, unsheathing my sword and tightening my grip on the hilt. Atlas nodded as he raised the spear that he had taken from the dracaena earlier. "They're under Perseus's orders. They probably won't listen to whatever we have to say." 

I grimaced at the thought of having to kill innocent people. Before I could ask Atlas if there was any other way to spare them, the titan had already jumped down into the field, his spear outstretched. The mortals turned, all of them staring straight at Atlas. 

"You have got to be kidding me." I grumbled before I jumped down as well, landing beside my new comrade with my sword drawn. A female with grey hair and black eyes stepped forwards, carrying an enormous broadsword. Her gaze flitted from me to Atlas before she spoke.

"Lord Perseus gave us orders to guard this area at all costs. You two are trespassing, therefore you will die." Her voice was flat and held no emotion whatsoever. 

"Sorry, but we aren't dying anytime soon." I said. The female's eyes narrowed before she stepped back, raising her broadsword and putting it over her shoulder. With an unspoken command, the dozen mortals surged forwards. 

When I saw them approaching, my throat closed up and my heart beat painfully against my chest. I can't kill them, I can't kill innocent people that were brainwashed by Percy and forced to serve him. 

Atlas glanced at me as he kicked away a mortal and saw that I wasn't attacking. "DI ANGELO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" He yelled as he ducked a swipe from another mortal. 

"I can't kill them! They haven't done anything wrong!" I shouted as the small girl lunged at me with her dagger. I dodged and slammed the flat end of my sword against her chest, sending her reeling back. "If you don't kill them, they'll kill YOU!" Atlas retorted as he drove his spear into a male's chest. 

I watched in horror as the male slumped to the ground. Atlas brutally yanked his spear out before spinning, using his spear to trip another mortal. I turned back and saw two more mortals running towards me. I panicked and just as one of them neared me, I jumped and stabbed my sword straight through their chest.