Chapter Eighteen: Death

“The child!” a healer screams. “The child must be born before she dies with it in her!”

            I push out my child with what little strength I have left. The pain plagues my fatigued body, the very last little bit of strength I have. I use to bring you third child into the world. A cry, a child’s cry rips through the air. I lazily move my head towards the healer with my child. She tells me it’s a girl, I look at the girl in her arms. She has Elrond eyes and my black hair, I smile. “Arwen.” I say. My heart beat slows, my breathing becomes shallow and uneven. My eye lids become heavy as I take my last breath I see my husband burst through the chamber doors and run to me.

            Then it all becomes black, I try to pull myself from the darkness with no success. I soon find myself in a meadow, the meadow by my home. I look down and see I have a cream colored dress on, my black hair falls in waves to my waist and my golden circlet is still on my head. “Naneth!” I turn around and see a little girl running towards me. She has black hair and the beautiful tempest eyes. “Arwen.” I say in disbelief as she runs into my arms. I squeeze my eyes shut and hold my daughter close to my chest. “Naneth?” She asks.

“Yes my sweet girl.” I say keeping my eyes closed.

She pulls away from me and looks up at me. “Where were you?” I kneel down to her level. “Ada said you were with the Valor. How are you here?”

I smile and push a strand of hair behind her ear. “Perhaps Valor thought it best if I were here you raise you and your brothers.”

“You do not deserve this life!” My daughter’s voice turns deep and dark.

            She shifts and grows, her build becomes that of a man. Her hair lightens and her eyes become golden. I set back and realize it is my brother Dio. “Hello sister.” He steps towards me, I stand my ground. “You do not deserve this life. Your destiny is death!” he comes closer.

I step towards him. “So you thought it best to poison me, like the coward that you are Brother!” I spit at him. “You did not have the courage to cross blades with me. I bet you were just like your father, a coward. Just as all of the woodland realm elves are.”

He slaps me across the face making me fall. “I am no coward!” he screams as he looms over me. “You are the coward!”

I am at my feet in a moment. “Explain to me how I am the coward!” I scream in his face. “I have fought more fights as a child you you have in your entire adult life Boy!”

“You are half elf half man! Your blood is plagued with the DNA of man!” He says.

“If my blood is plagued, then it is plagued by that wretched bitch known as mother!”I scream. “You are just as she was. When she say a fight she ran away with her tail between my legs! Just as you would!”

His face is red with anger. “You know nothing about me woman!”

“I know enough!” I yell. “I will not give you the satisfaction of my death!”

            I close my eyes and feel life flourish within me, I feel the blood begin to flow. “What are you doing!? You are to die!” he screams as I feel myself being pulled from the pit of death. I look at his fading form. “Not this day.” I respond and close my eyes once more.

            I awaken with a gasp of breath and I look around the room alarmed. Elrond places his hands on my face and forces me to look at him. His faces his stained with tears, his eyes red and puffy from the sorrow I have caused him. He lets out a cry of joy and pulls me into him so that my head is on his chest. He looks down at me, grabs my chin and kisses me with the same passion he did on our wedding night so long ago. Once he pulls away and sets his forehead on my own, he says. “I thought you dead.” His voice is strained.

I give him a weak smile. “Since when have you known me to go down without a fight?”

He chuckles.”Would you like to meet your daughter?”

            I nod furiously at him; he lets me go and walks over to the cradle on the other side of the room. He pulls a small child out of the cradle, holding the back of her head and her back. He makes his way to the bed and sits down by me. I take her in my arms and let out a sob of happiness and place her forehead to my lips. “Hello my sweet girl.” I say. “I am your Naneth.” With a smile, I give my husband a quick peck on the lips.

            Then Dio enters the room, and closes the door behind him. I look at him and hold my baby close to my chest. “You get your worthless self out of my chambers.” I say. He looks at me confused and looks at Elrond for help. I bring my lips to Elrond’s ear and whisper “He is the one who tried to kill me.” I tell him. Elrond’s face changes to pure rage and he gets up from the bed. He then has the guards arrest Dio and put him in the dungeon. Though my mind wonders to what my brother’s fate will be.