Chapter Two: The Prancing Pony

“This is not The Shire Gandalf.” I say as we approach Bree. My black stallion is underneath me, he supports the weight of all my weapons myself included, as well as some supplies just in case. I am wearing nothing but black, my trousers are tight though easy to move and fight in. My boots are a thin as elven boots, making me soundless, and a hood covers my face keeping my true identity from the citizens of Bree. I have knives in both of my boots and up my sleeves, as well as some on my belt. I have a bow on my back and a long sword strapped to my hip. Those who are not accustomed to weight of such weapons would barely be able to walk steady. I could run miles with the weapons; this is merely because I have been trained ever since I can remember, to with stand the weight of the metal. I dismount my horse and Gandalf does the same, I step in the mud and look around in disgust at the town. It is nothing but rag clothes, drunks, and piles of ‘mud’ blanketing the ground. “We have to make a quick stop before we get to The Shire.” He says, tying his horse to the railing.

“A quick stop.” I retort, I give him a look of annoyance under my hood.

He looks at me with his kind eyes, “Yes, I have to encourage Thorin Oakenshield to accompany us to reclaim Erebor.”

I widen my eyes at him in shock. “What do you mean encourage him? We are reclaiming his homeland are we not?” I stare at him. “You told me, that we were reclaiming Erebor with Thorin Oakenshield. Not encouraging his to do so. You have not even told the man we are reclaiming the Lonely Mountain.”

“Jemini I-“

“Have you Gandalf?” my words come out more annoyed.

He sighs and looks at the ground. “No,” he finally says and looks back at me, “I have not told him.”

“Did you expect him to just, go away with us to reclaim his homeland Gandalf-“

“YES!” He yells “I did.” His voice is now calm.

I sigh annoyed and then bottle up my emotions. “Come on,” I say, walking towards The Prancing Pony. ”Let’s get this bloody thing over with.”

            We walk in The Prancing Pony; I look around for a dwarf, any dwarf. “What does he look like?” I whisper to Gandalf, my eyes still scanning the room. “He has dark hair, a short beard and blue eyes.” my eyes land on a dwarf my by the fireplace. He has the same dark hair, short beard and blue eyes Gandalf said he had. Though his hair is streaked with gray, his eyes look tired and wiry and his body looks as though it is pure muscle. He seems rather attractive, for a dwarf, I turn towards Gandalf. “What about him?” I ask nodding my head in the dwarf’s direction. His eyes follow my gesture, he looks back at me and smiles. “You have keen eyes James Fell.” He smiles, he motions for me to follow him. I maneuver my way though the drunken hands of the men in the bar, the one man who tried to grope me, I grabbed his arms and threatened to slice his arm off if he did that again. Gandalf and I eventually make our way to Thorin, just as we approach him I see him look on either side of him and grab the hilt of his sword.

            Gandalf sits down in front of him; Thorin is in complete awe at the sight of Gandalf. I then see him slightly relax and release his sword. I sit in between Gandalf and Thorin, Thorin looks at us confused. Gandalf then grabs a waitresses arm and says he will have the same as Thorin. Thorin just stares at him, “I should introduce myself, my name is Gandalf,” He tells Thorin with a smile.”Gandalf the Gray.”

“I know who you are.” Thorin says, still slightly tense.

“Well then,” He says clasping his hands together. “This is a fine chance. What brings Thorin Oakenshield to the Bree?” Gandalf asks interested.

“I received word, that my father,” Gandalf’s smile fades, Thorin continues. “was seen in the wild, near Dunland.” Thorin says looking up. “I went looking,” he looks down once more, “I found no sign of him.”

“Thorin,” Gandalf says, “It has been a long this since anything but rumor was heard of Thrain.”

“He still lives,” Thorin says, with widen eyes, “I am sure of it.” A waitress brings Gandalf his food, Thorin continues. “My father came to see you before he went missing. What did you say to him?”

Gandalf starts to eat his food, he tears off a piece of bread. “I urged him to march upon Erebor, to rally the seven armies of the dwarves, to destroy the dragon and take back The Lonely Mountain,” Thorin’s interest is now peaked. “And I will say the same to you. Take back your homeland.”

                        Thorin leans back in his chair, give Gandalf an intimidating glare. Gandalf sighs and gets up from the table. “Come,” he says, “we are leaving.”

“What you are not going to introduce me?” I ask Gandalf, with a smirk on my face. “You are truly losing your charm Gandalf the Grey.” I turn to Thorin, who is now staring at me, I hold my hand out. “Jemini Fell, daughter of-“

“Ragnor Fell.” He takes my hand and shakes it, “It is a pleasure Miss Fell.”

“No need for formalities, please call me Jemini.” I say releasing his hand.

“Very well, Jemini.” He says nodding towards me, I keep my face neutral. “Where are you two heading?” He asks the smile leaves his face as he faces Gandalf.

“We are going to The Shire.” Gandalf says. “To enlist a burglar.”

“Burglar?” Thorin asks, looking at me.

I glare at him. “Do not look to me, this is the first I am hearing of the sort.” My voice is even and serious.

Thorin crosses his arms and makes his expression unreadable. “When do you depart?”

I lean back in my chair and look down, “Soon hopefully.” I mutter to myself.

            Gandalf sits back down and works out the rest of the quest with Thorin. While they work out all the issues, I take out my dagger and start to clean under my nails. I occasionally look up and scan the room with my eyes to see if anyone tries to pull some sort of damned joke. I keep my hood on; once Thorin and Gandalf are done talking the three of us get up and walk towards the door. I move swiftly and quickly through the drunken bodies of the tavern.  We walk out of The Prancing Pony and mount our horses, or in Thorin’s case Pony. We all ride away from The Prancing Pony and head towards the boarder of The Shire.