rather be with you (meau)

Start from the beginning

"So, I was wondering if you were busy this weekend?" Mitch asks, biting his lip slightly.

"Um, I don't think so...?" Beau asks, blinking a few times. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me this weekend?" Mitch asks, looking up at Beau.

"Like, as in... a date?" Beau asks. "Just the two of us?"

"I mean, it doesn't... have to be a date if you don't want it to be," Mitch tells him, feeling more nervous. "It's just... we talk sometimes but, we've never hung out outside of school."

"Actually, you know what... I just remembered that I do have a family thing this weekend," Beau says.

Mitch feels like his heart just got stepped on and broke into a million pieces. "No. I get it," he mumbles, trying his best not to allow himself to cry in front of Beau. "You could have just said no." He turns around and walks away from Beau as fast as his feet can possibly take him.

"Wait, Mitch-" Beau sighs as he watches Mitch walk away.

"Hey, Beau. What did the queer want?"

Beau looks over and rolls his eyes when he sees one of his football teammates. "Shut up Derrick, and don't call him that when you very well know that I'm gay," he snaps before walking away.

Mitch doesn't go to school the next day, feeling too humiliated even though he's sure nobody knows that he asked Beau out. He just doesn't want to face Beau so soon after being rejected. He told his mom that he felt too sick to go to school, so she allowed him to stay home for one day thankfully.

A few weeks pass, and Mitch is slowly getting over Beau's rejection. He doesn't really speak to Beau much at school anymore, even though Beau tries to say hi to him sometimes in classes. Mitch assumes it's because he feels sorry for him. Mitch would rather not talk to him at all.

"Kirst, are you busy this weekend?" Mitch asks excitedly as he runs up to Kirstie at lunch, on Thursday.

"Um, not really?" Kirstie blinks a few times as she looks up at Mitch.

"Good, because we're going on a double date!" Mitch squeals excitedly.

"What?" Kirstie asks. "Beau finally said yes?"

"What? No," Mitch shakes his head. "Not Beau. Ben asked me out on a date and said we could go on a double date. You know, Ben from Science class? He's really sweet and super smart."

"But, what happened to Beau? I thought you really liked him...?"

"Yeah, and didn't you hear me? He turned me down," Mitch snaps. "I'm not going to waste my time on someone that doesn't even like me when I could go on dates with a cute boy who does like me."

"I mean, I guess. I'm glad you finally talked to a boy," Kirstie chuckles. "So, this weekend?"

"Mhm. Tomorrow after school. We're going to the arcade, and then we're doing dinner..."

After lunch, Kirstie decides to find Beau to find out what happened and why he doesn't want to go out with Mitch. Fair enough if he doesn't see him as anything more than a friend, but to come up with an excuse? Kirstie has seen the way Beau looks at Mitch with fondness in his eyes, so... she knows he likes him.

"Hey Beau," Kirstie says as she walks up to his locker.

Beau looks over and is surprised when he sees Kirstie. "Oh, uh... Kirstie?"

"Yeah, that's me. Kirstie. Also known as Mitch's best friend. I'm sorry. I just... why did you say no?"

"What are you talking about?" Beau asks, sighing as he shuts his locker.