rather be with you (meau)

(AU) Mitch has a crush on Beau, and finally gets the courage to ask him out. Beau's answer isn't what Mitch expected. Beau finally realizes his feeling, but will it be too late?

Trigger Warning: one homophobic slur

****

"I don't know... I don't think I should say anything," Mitch mumbles as he sits with his friend Kirstie. They're sitting at the bleachers with a bunch of other students, watching the football practice. It's usually mostly girls, but Mitch is openly gay so of course he's going to join in and watch the boys.

"What's the worst that could possibly happen?" Kirstie asks, looking over at Mitch.

"Uh, he could rejected me and I'd be humilitiated and will never show my face again?" Mitch scoffs.

"I've heard that Beau is bisexual. You have a chance just as much as the rest of us," Kirstie tells him.

"Yeah, but why on Earth would he ever want to waste time on someone like me?" Mitch sighs.

"Stop. You're an great person, Mitch. I wish you would see that. Beau would be lucky to have someone like you as a boyfriend," Kirstie says. "I mean, we dated. I thought it was great."

"That lasted for two weeks, and then I realized I was gay," Mitch huffs.

"Ouch," Kirstie pouts and crosses her arms against her chest. "It was nice while it lasted."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. You are great. It wasn't you. Honestly, it was me," Mitch tells her.

"Yeah, yeah-" Kirstie chuckles. "Anyways. Just... say something to him. Ask him for coffee or something."

"What if he doesn't like coffee though?" Mitch asks, frowning.

"Then, take him some place he does like! I don't know," Kirstie laughs and shakes her head. "Mitch, seriously. "You can't be afraid to talk to boys your whole life, otherwise you won't get anywhere."

"It's not my fault. They're so... intimidating," Mitch pouts.

"Talk to him. Today. You have to do it," Kirstie tells him.

"Yeah," Mitch sighs and reaches down to grab his bag. "I think I'm gonna go."

"Go? Go where? I'm taking you home!" Kirstie shouts after Mitch. She grabs her bags, and then she quickly follows him. "Mitch, come on. I want you to be happy. You deserve a good boyfriend."

"Kirstie, just accept that it's not going to happen. I've accepted it long ago," Mitch tells her.

"No, you're going to talk to Beau when he's finished practising," Kirstie tells him.

"I am?" Mitch asks, raising his eyebrows as he looks over at Kirstie.

"Yes. I just started seeing someone. How cute would it be if we went on double dates?" Kirstie squeals.

"Ugh," Mitch shakes his head and starts walking again.

Mitch didn't end up asking Beau on a date after football practice due to his nerves. However, he did end up walking up to him the next day after school. He suddenly felt the confidence, and knew it was time.

Mitch and Beau aren't really friends, but they knew each other. They were in classes together, and Beau is always nice to Mitch whenever he does talk to him.

"Hi Beau," Mitch greets confidentaly when he walks up to Beau at his locker.

Beau looks over and is surprised when he sees Mitch. "Oh, hey Grassi," he replies, shutting his locker.